Olympus EM flash unit failure...again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been diving with an EM5 for several years. I've had three camera flash units fail; randomly not firing or doing a full dump. Thankfully, I now carry spares as backup.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it the capacitor failing? Is this a know problem to Olympus?

I have been on trips where at least 3 people had failures. I always carry a bunch of spares to lend out. I am now using the Nauticam LED trigger and that has been reliable so far (cross your fingers).
Bill

I was on a liveaboard when another photographer had a complete flash failure. So on my return I bought a spare. When checking a year later, one of the two was dead so I bought another spare. Then I read this thread and bought the Nauticam LED trigger. Be careful out there!

just returned on live aboard Xmas/NY Raja Ampat and flashed failed. Initially thought it was connection problem and on/off camera and took off/inserted flash during surface interval. worked 3-4 times during tests. Took down for last dive of trip taking photos of pygmy seahorse and boom....died on me. Will look into the Nauticam LED. Users beware - plan accordingly.

I only use them on UW trips and have had no failures YET. I am off end of April and will take all 3 of the LM2's I have.
Thanks for the tip, this could ruin a trip.
Q! does the LED trigger work in an Olympus housing? I am guessing not but thought I would ask....

The nauticam LED trigger works in the nauticam housing only but the Turtle might work in the OLY housing.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom