Contadora Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My friends and I are planning a trip to Contadora Island off of Panama. How's the diving there these days? Anything to watch out for, good or bad?

We liked the island a lot....a few places to stay, but plenty of fine restaurants. We only did a two tank dive because Survivor London was coming into town to film episodes and bought up all the dive slots....lol. This island was the set for Survivor the American version for season one.

The dive was ok...it was greenish water and to be honest, I don't recall anything else about those two dives! It's dramatic with all the rocks and plenty of small fish....definitely not a dive destination IMHO.

Rent a golf cart and explore the different beaches....we took the ferry from Panama.

I hope you hire a driver on the mainland for a tour of the canal...that was a highlight of the trip.

I have dived a lot around Panama, but not Contadora. I tried numerous times to contact the only dive op there, but never received a reply. My Panamanian friends (who are divers) have told me and my wife to avoid Contadora. It's expensive, there is very little to see and the dive operator there prefers to take snorkelers because there are many more of them. They are known for cancelling divers at the last minute in favor of larger groups of snorkelers.

If you're serious about diving Panama, consider Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo (only 90 minute drive from Panama City) or diving Isla Coiba, if you're an experienced diver. Coiba has a lot more to offer, but it will take more time to get to Santa Catalina and from there to the island. If this sounds interesting, let us know and we'll provide more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom