Crotch straps are awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only problem I see with crotch straps is that it goes just where the weight belt goes.
Normally you will don the weight belt and then the BCD; tank and reg. With this, the weight belt goes under the crotch strap.
If you don the BCD and after this the weight belt, it goes over the crotch strap. It's much easier to don the weight belt and then the BCD.
The weight belt should go over the crotch strap to allow quick release in case of an emergency ascent.
Of course, if you dive in warm water and all the weight you need is in your BCD, forget about this.

The only problem I see with crotch straps is that it goes just where the weight belt goes.
Normally you will don the weight belt and then the BCD; tank and reg. With this, the weight belt goes under the crotch strap.
If you don the BCD and after this the weight belt, it goes over the crotch strap. It's much easier to don the weight belt and then the BCD.
The weight belt should go over the crotch strap to allow quick release in case of an emergency ascent.
Of course, if you dive in warm water and all the weight you need is in your BCD, forget about this.

Never had an issue with removing my weight belt from underneath my crotch strap. Ditches no problem.

You can also put ditchable pouches on your BCD strap and eliminate the belt entirely. Diverite and several other companies make them.

16-lb-QB-Weight-Pockets_AC3216_Front-View--600x600.jpg

Steel plate + Wing + Crotch Strap = :bounce:

So, all this begs the question, are there currently any BCs that come with quick disconnects for installing crotch straps if desired? I'm going to have to look at my own BC when I get home to see. Or at least determine the feasibility of installing one.

So, all this begs the question, are there currently any BCs that come with quick disconnects for installing crotch straps if desired? I'm going to have to look at my own BC when I get home to see. Or at least determine the feasibility of installing one.
They are the defacto configuration for most technical BCs. They are a number of jacket BCs that don't even come with an attachment point... and that's a problem for me and my students. I prefer a two-inch strap as the there are more options available, like a butt plate. So when you're trying on that BC, check to be sure you can attach one. Even if they don't come with one, they are simple, simple to make. All you need is 36 inches of webbing and two tri-glides. You can get fancy with plastic buckles and whatnot, but the simpler the better.

They are the defacto configuration for most technical BCs. They are a number of jacket BCs that don't even come with an attachment point... and that's a problem for me and my students. I prefer a two-inch strap as the there are more options available, like a butt plate. So when you're trying on that BC, check to be sure you can attach one. Even if they don't come with one, they are simple, simple to make. All you need is 36 inches of webbing and two tri-glides. You can get fancy with plastic buckles and whatnot, but the simpler the better.

Thanks. This is all very helpful. I'm pretty sure that my jacket BCD does not have an attachment point already. I'll just have to look to see if it's possible.

Edit: There are actually a couple of good Dive Rite videos on crotch straps out there:

If someone has already posted these, I apologize. I didn't go back through the thread and look.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom