back plate and wing for a 10 year old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That video of donning a BPW over your head is amazing... I would never have thought of that, but I can see it be especially easy in the water. I'll have to try that some time.

That video of donning a BPW over your head is amazing... I would never have thought of that, but I can see it be especially easy in the water. I'll have to try that some time.

that's how we teach to don them in the water, but it's also really easy to don them on land if you have the arm strength. Surprisingly easy with al80's or lp72's. Haven't tried with a HP120 yet though... not quite that ballsy

During my original training, those of us who were using double hose regulators were instructed to doff and don over our heads. Those using single hose regulators were taught to doff by removing the left arm from the harness and rotating the rig around our right side then reversing the procedure to don. Both techniques kept the mouthpiece in place. Of course, there was only one regulator, a back plate, and a tank. Things were a little simpler.

over the head method was part of my OW in the late 80's....

(and that was on single hose)

^^When men were men, and neoprene was measured in fractions of an inch. :)

Tobin

that's how we teach to don them in the water, but it's also really easy to don them on land if you have the arm strength. Surprisingly easy with al80's or lp72's. Haven't tried with a HP120 yet though... not quite that ballsy
My "local" tanks are HP E8-119s; I would definitely be nervous about trying the overhead don with one of those (without more time at the gym, first.)

A BP&W inherently promotes good trim and is nicely modular. As long as it fits, that would be my first choice.

The poodle jacket will teach him to associate poor trim with fun diving.

A BP&W inherently promotes good trim and is nicely modular. As long as it fits, that would be my first choice.

The poodle jacket will teach him to associate poor trim with fun diving.

I disagree completely.....good trim is possible in either one, I've had jr ow divers in both with great trim. Like everything scuba, when they're taught to do it correctly, it's not that hard. I do think a bp/w is a great idea for kids, it's very customizeable and will grow with them, but it's not necessary for good trim. Here's pics of two of my Jr OW divers, one in a backplate, one in "poodle jacket", both in trim..
P9100259.JPG 21616380_10212921732653478_7637535704978921450_n (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom