Cancun Still the place for Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The downside is if you miss the last ferry finding a room near the Playa ferry after 2300 can be problematic. The last time I arrived on the pier at the 2310 (10PM ADO bus from the airport) I could not find any rooms available for under $100 near the pier, ended up 8 blocks away @ $85. If it looks close I now stay in downtown Cancun and grab the 5AM bus which allows me to make to 0645 ferry and then make the 0800 boat from the Marina

What time of year? I once arrived in PDC at 1am (stuck in CUN dealing with a lost bag) and was able to get a room right on 5th for $60. If it looks close might be best to reserve a room in PDC and just plan it that way. I'd rather do it than deal with two bus rides. YMMV.

I need to go back to Texas for my son's Little League tournament coming up . Just checked prices 1 week out for CZM or CUN to IAH. One way $308 for Cozumel, $97 for Cancun both on United but SW probably even less expensive. Finally Southwest is having the desired competitive effect. Yahoo for the bag drag.

At these prices it might be cheaper to come on down than spend a weekend at Home Depot!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Waiting impatiently for SW to start flying to CZM ...

DEAR SHARKY,,

Me TOO

Dave

Dear Gordon,

The subject right now is the LOW airfare into Cancun vs CZM. But again, if you are in a place that will allow non stop to Cancun vs plane change for CZM I'd say do it. Just too much risk of missed connections, storms, etc even if you only go twice a year.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Frequently the fare to Cancun is the same as CZM-- just not now.
Dear Dave,

This is, as they say, not my first rodeo; I have been going to Cozumel since 1978. I have done it both ways, but I find that all things considered I much prefer changing planes in Houston to dealing with the Cancun airport and the surface trek to Cozumel. It sometimes costs more but the differential in expense isn't a big factor, and in all those trips I have only once come even close to missing my connection. That was many years ago when a thunderstorm delayed my departure from Austin and I had booked the latest possible AUS-HOU leg. Ever since then I take an earlier flight from here every time and it's never been a problem.

DSFDF and YMMV.

Dear Gordon,

We have different perceptions of many things. Once or twice a year is not in my memory. But depending on a flight from Austin to IAH is basically the same weather system. Try LAX or JFK to Houston, completely different. Glad you got there in 78.

Dave

Cancun at $190 vs $540 to cozumel next week is a no brainer. I am not broke and value my time but I would much rather fly into Cancun at 11am out of Houston for that price and do the bag drag vs the $500+ flight direct.

Cancun Still the place for - HOUSTON AREA

For those who have to change planes, not so much. I never find fares from Lubbock or Amarillo to Cancun cheap enough to plan on the bag drag. I may end up arriving in Cancun after flight problems, but I hate it.

In our case coming from LAX-COZ it will always involve a red eye and layover. My non diving wife does not do well with red-eyes. Non stop LAX-CUN during the day, plus on this upcoming trip the savings are $300 each.
Happy wife and lots of money leftover for beer, extra dives, and special meals out. Works for me.

Waiting impatiently for SW to start flying to CZM ...

I, too would jump for joy if Southwest started to fly into Cozumel, but knowing what I do about its model for remaining profitable as a low cost carrier, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Southwest gets much of its cost advantages over other carriers from two important characteristics:

(1) Southwest relies upon its quick turnaround of planes (it gets anywhere from 20%-40% more air time for its planes than any other carrier, a significant advantage when airplanes are the single biggest capital cost for airlines), which requires modern baggage handling capabilities and Southwest's ability to control its own baggage handlers. That in turn requires a schedule of a minimum of 6-10 scheduled landings and departures a day. That simply isn't possible at a place like Cozumel, and even IF Southwest could justify such a schedule at Cozumel, its hard to see the Cozumel Airport investing in the necessary baggage handling equipment or giving up control over the employment of baggage handlers to allow Southwest to achieve an average turnaround time - 45 minutes or less - necessary for Southwest to maintain its cost advantage on use of capital equipment.

(2) Southwest gets a lot of advantage over other airlines by maintaining a high load factor. If you discount all of your seats, as Southwest does, you have to make it up on volume, maintaining a load factor (paying passengers/seats) at over 70% on domestic flights, preferably much more on international flights. Sure, Southwest might be able to maintain an 80%+ load factor on 1-2 flights per day into Cozumel, but if Southwest expanded its schedule to Cozumel to 6-8 flights per day (see point 1 above), it could never keep its load factor high enough on all of those flights to justify a big price advantage over the other carriers.

Conditions might change, but I just don't see Southwest opting to expand operations into Cozumel until they do.

P.S. Just checked Southwest's operating statistics. It would have to plan for an average load factor of 86% or greater for a minimum of 8-10 takeoffs and landings each day to justify flying into Cozumel. Does anyone think that is reasonable to expect for Cozumel?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom