Adding ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30 is a pretty big number, even for a two piece farmer john. I'm not saying you don't need 30, but I would do a real true weight check. Most people find the more they dive the more weight they shed.

Next time you go diving, put all your neoprene on. Grab your mask and fins. Then get in chest deep water. Have a buddy hand you some weight. Figure out what exactly it takes to sink (should float at eye level with a full breath) Then write the number down! This is what you will use to calculate everything else going forward. I dedicate a whole page in my log book for variations of weight, dependant upon what I'm wearing and what water type. Then see if you really need 30.

I have also found that wearing thick neoprene after diving to depths greater than 60ft I don't need as much as I would above that depth. Neoprene will compress and lose buoyancy, you will usually feel like shrink wrap at that point.

I tested it all in a tank just two days ago.
In Fresh Water:
Shorty 13lbs. to get neutral
Farmer John 15lbs. to get neutral
Add boots,gloves,hood 2lbs. conservatively
Neoprene weight belt 1lb.
31lbs.

Add it to salt water and my 30lbs is conservative.
Diving with the same suit and a jacket BC with aluminum 80 back when I had that gear I wore around 30 in a weight belt.
Probably why they aren't selling many two piece suits anymore.
Sorry but it's true.

I am talking about 8-12 lbs. total (left,right,maybe a little trim weight on the tank strap).

I've 2 DGX pockets on shoulder straps, bungeed to the d-rings. 3-4 lbs each, works for me. I don't think you can squeeze anything bigger than 4lb hard weight into them though.

@Flycaster remember that buoyancy is not about pounds, it is about volume displaced.

So 31lbs positive. With that being the case. If you were wearing 30lbs in a jacket BC and an AL80, you'll wear probably 20lbs going to a large DSS backplate with an AL80, and about 14lbs if you go to a steel tank. In either event, I would purchase the DSS weight plates that are 8lbs and put the rest of the 8-12 on a weight belt.

Does three things for you.
Weight on the belt vs. the rig means you can get away with a smaller wing size since it can float itself at the surface more easily. In this case you could probably get away with a 30lb wing so long as you aren't going deeper than 100ft
A lot easier to deal with the rig on the surface because the total rig weight is all on the backplate instead of hanging from the front of it *try changing tanks on a boat with all that weight in the pockets, I dare you*. It saves time having to remove the weights from the pockets, and risk of losing them in the process.
I think it's a lot more comfortable to wear a belt than pockets as it is a lot lower profile and you don't loose the feeling of being unencumbered which is why I stopped putting a pouch on my waist strap when teaching and went to a thigh pocket

I tested it all in a tank just two days ago.
In Fresh Water:
Shorty 13lbs. to get neutral
Farmer John 15lbs. to get neutral
Add boots,gloves,hood 2lbs. conservatively
Neoprene weight belt 1lb.
31lbs.

Just curious (NEW diver), how do you test the buoyancy of a wetsuit? I'm assuming you put it in water and add weight, but how do you know it's neutral, with all the legs and arms flailing around?

Just curious (NEW diver), how do you test the buoyancy of a wetsuit? I'm assuming you put it in water and add weight, but how do you know it's neutral, with all the legs and arms flailing around?
To weight the suit, you can stick it loosely in a mesh bag and add weights to the bag till it roughly floats at the depth you want. A bit more involved would be to suspend a scale over the pool, drop a line almost the bottom with lead on the end and note the scale value. Then attach your mesh bag to the line at the depth you want, note the new scale value. The difference is the buoyancy at that depth. Instead of a mesh bag, some bungee's loosely holding the suit together work. Ideally measure the bag separately from the suit.

Ahhhh, makes perfect sense. Thanks much!

@Flycaster remember that buoyancy is not about pounds, it is about volume displaced.

So 31lbs positive. With that being the case. If you were wearing 30lbs in a jacket BC and an AL80, you'll wear probably 20lbs going to a large DSS backplate with an AL80, and about 14lbs if you go to a steel tank. In either event, I would purchase the DSS weight plates that are 8lbs and put the rest of the 8-12 on a weight belt.

Does three things for you.
Weight on the belt vs. the rig means you can get away with a smaller wing size since it can float itself at the surface more easily. In this case you could probably get away with a 30lb wing so long as you aren't going deeper than 100ft
A lot easier to deal with the rig on the surface because the total rig weight is all on the backplate instead of hanging from the front of it *try changing tanks on a boat with all that weight in the pockets, I dare you*. It saves time having to remove the weights from the pockets, and risk of losing them in the process.
I think it's a lot more comfortable to wear a belt than pockets as it is a lot lower profile and you don't loose the feeling of being unencumbered which is why I stopped putting a pouch on my waist strap when teaching and went to a thigh pocket

Exactly!
With a full hp100 I calc. It at 11 to 12 pounds I need to wear.
Empty I ought to be neutral at 15ft. And be buoyant at the surface.
Will have to prove it out this year before dreaded Winter shows up.

Another viable option is to use a weight belt. We offer rubber belts which don't slide around, buckle securely, are easy to remove and will compensate for wetsuit compression.

10 or 12 lbs of lead can be comfortably worn on a belt with a backplate or any bc.

Dive safe
Dano

I wrapped bungee cords around mine, tipped it every which way to get all the trapped air out and started adding weight slowly.

I am talking about 8-12 lbs. total (left,right,maybe a little trim weight on the tank strap).

have you done a weight check with your new equipment? I'd do that first. You may well be surprised at how much less total ballast you need.

No more inherently buoyant Jacket BC often means quite a bit less total ballast.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom