Rubber or braided hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone aware of a vendor or manufacturer that specifies Polyether-TPU? I've looked around and can't find one...

So far it is more confusing than anything else as rubber and braided hose could be affected and NO one specify what there hose are made of.
Is anyone aware of a vendor or manufacturer that specifies Polyether-TPU? I've looked around and can't find one...

here is a quote of article look very simple but im wondering how we know

When buying a hose, determine the composition of its lining — you want it to be a polyether-TPU, not a polyester-TPU. If in doubt, do not purchase the hose.

So far it is more confusing than anything else as rubber and braided hose could be affected and NO one specify what there hose are made of.

here is a quote of article look very simple but im wondering how we know

When buying a hose, determine the composition of its lining — you want it to be a polyether-TPU, not a polyester-TPU. If in doubt, do not purchase the hose.

the good rubber hoses are nitrile rubber lined *same as o-rings* for reference

the good rubber hoses are nitrile rubber lined *same as o-rings* for reference

Where do you buy nitrile lined rubber hoses? Brand? What do you buy?

On another note, I see you are a textile engineer. In the early 70s my dad was president of a division of Stone Mfg. Eugene was the dad, Jack (Navy pilot) the son, if I recall correctly. Interesting times and outcome for Stone and Jack with Umbro.

Thanks

Where do you buy nitrile lined rubber hoses? Brand? What do you buy?

On another note, I see you are a textile engineer. In the early 70s my dad was president of a division of Stone Mfg. Eugene was the dad, Jack (Navy pilot) the son, if I recall correctly. Interesting times and outcome for Stone and Jack with Umbro.

Thanks

I got my last lot from Piranha and Oxycheq. Both have hoses made with Goodyear rubber hoses that are all Nitrile rubber

@jfe reason why is because the inner material is what has caused the crumbling and clogged regulators that DAN and others have warned about

@eelnoraa unfortunately you have to ask and trust the suppliers.... Piranha has known good hoses, as does Oxycheq. I'm sure others do as well but I haven't gone that far into looking since I don't need hoses that often. My last order was from Piranha

I am confused, are the Piranha super-flex rubber hoses good to go or not?

I am confused, are the Piranha super-flex rubber hoses good to go or not?

the super-flex hoses are of similar internal construction to the braided hoses. Their normal rubber ones are "traditional".

I just purchased a dozen "traditional" hoses from Randy

I recently changed my Atomic second stage from Miflex back to the original Atomic rubber hose with the swivel. Before reconnecting the hoses I tried breathing through each hose and was surprised by how much resistance there is in each hose, but markedly more through the Miflex hose. Not sure if this makes a practical difference as normally the hose is under 140 psi pressure and the pressure drop across the length of the hose may be relatively small. But I did get the subjective feel that my reg breathes slightly easier with the Atomic hose.

I still use braided hoses elsewhere, Miflex for the octo and SPG and a generic braided hose from DGX for my BC inflator.

I recently changed my Atomic second stage from Miflex back to the original Atomic rubber hose with the swivel. Before reconnecting the hoses I tried breathing through each hose and was surprised by how much resistance there is in each hose, but markedly more through the Miflex hose. Not sure if this makes a practical difference as normally the hose is under 140 psi pressure and the pressure drop across the length of the hose may be relatively small. But I did get the subjective feel that my reg breathes slightly easier with the Atomic hose.

I still use braided hoses elsewhere, Miflex for the octo and SPG and a generic braided hose from DGX for my BC inflator.

Interesting, I'll play with mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom