OW and AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my NAUI card from 1972 simply says SCUBA DIVER, my Advanced from 1974 says ADVANCED DIVER. Wifes NAUI card from 1981also says SCUBA DIVER.
I also have a PADI card from 1974 that says ADVANCED DIVER.

I'm convinced that PADI's OW diver cert is well enough to go diving in most tourist / tropical destinations. You can show that card basically anywhere and get an air fill. Their materials are very well written - very clear- with all the check-up quizzes spaced throughout the book.

Is Advanced Open Water even really advanced though? Meh. Not really, but they had to call it something. I did my OW and AOW back-to-back and by no means would I call myself an Advanced OW Diver after that.

If I had my way, I'd change it to something like OW 2.0 or something. I would lose the word Advanced.

I like that they introduced PADI Adventure Diver as an in-between class for new divers. If I remember correctly, it's just past OW, and not quite Advanced is how it's been marketed. Any chance to get fins wet while continuing their education, to me, is a smart move.

Anyone else certified in the 70s remember eating a raw hotdog under water in their basic scuba class? I also had to breath from the tank valve without a regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom