OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah that's very noticeable. Now that I see your picture I remember seeing the same thing in pictures on OTS's facebook page when I was researching the Spectrum. Hmmm.... makes me wonder if mine does the same thing. Never noticed it before.

The inner frame was installed. The reg does not move in the mask, but it tends to bend the mask out side the frame area. The image below illustrates it a bit. See how the Second stage is not straight because of the hose pulling that side in, causing the opposite side to push away from the mask? The regulator is not moving, but the mask is allowing that movement causing the regulator to “skew”. I don’t see or feel that with the Guardian.

View attachment 427257

Do you think this issue would be fixed with an omni mount swivel at the second stage? Or is the rubber that flexible?

Do you think this issue would be fixed with an omni mount swivel at the second stage? Or is the rubber that flexible?

I don't know. The rubber is very soft and flexible. I think it is one of the properties that allows the mask to seal to the face so well.

I saw a nice setup on a Spectrum that is similar to a commercial helmet. There was a couple of fittings coming out of the reg about 2-3 inches, a 90 degree fitting, then the hose went straight back across the shoulder fairly close to the cheek. Looked great. Nice and clean. In the video this guy was turning his head and it looked like there was no strain at all on the hose/reg.

Last edited:
I noticed the same problem with mine. I plan on getting a longer hose and a swivel. Also had the fogging issue which I wasn't aware that it needed to be treated like a conventional mask. Andy at OTS sent me an instruction sheet on lens prep, see below for reference.

Spectrum Lens Care.jpg

Instagram has another picture of just how much this mask flexes around the regulator mounting area. The hose on the Atomic regulator is "pushing" the regulator. I don't think this causes any performance issues, it does make me wonder if we will see any wear or tearing around the inner frame as this is being "torqued" by the regulator hose flex.

A few important items to note in this picture.

1. It sure looks like these two masks have ambient breathing valves attached to the left side. Something that is not yet available in the shipping versions.

1. The Apeks regulator is being secured on the outside of the mask with a hose clamp. Is this an early prototype (if so, why was an ABV not available at release??) or is this an indication that the inner zip-tie won't do the job of keeping the regulator secure?

Attachments

• spectrum.jpg
    spectrum.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 584
Great thread going on here. I'm considering getting my hands on one of these for a Bonaire trip in November.

I have an Atomic Aquatics B2 with the "Comfort Swivel", so hoping that would help with any binding of the soft plastic some have posted here.

My main reason for looking into this for me is dry mouth and jaw fatigue. And eventually communication.

The ABV will be a nice addition.

Looking forward to others experience with the Spectrum here.

1. It sure looks like these two masks have ambient breathing valves attached to the left side. Something that is not yet available in the shipping versions
I contacted OTS about the ambient breathing valve, they said that it was still in development but they are going to produce one eventually for this mask.

1. The Apeks regulator is being secured on the outside of the mask with a hose clamp. Is this an early prototype (if so, why was an ABV not available at release??) or is this an indication that the inner zip-tie won't do the job of keeping the regulator secure?
I am not sure but that may be a prototype of some sorts. On the mask I have the second stage secures inside the mask with a zip tie. You have to give the mouthpiece a good push to get it into the mounting hole so that helps keep it place and secure along with the zip tie.

I added a 36 inch hose to the second stage to lessen the pull I encountered with a shorter hose. Diving with it in 4 days and will update on how that worked out. Even though there looks to be some flex in the reg mounting area, it is secure and there is a plastic mounting plate behind it to provide stability.

I contacted OTS about the ambient breathing valve, they said that it was still in development but they are going to produce one eventually for this mask.

I am not sure but that may be a prototype of some sorts. On the mask I have the second stage secures inside the mask with a zip tie. You have to give the mouthpiece a good push to get it into the mounting hole so that helps keep it place and secure along with the zip tie.

I added a 36 inch hose to the second stage to lessen the pull I encountered with a shorter hose. Diving with it in 4 days and will update on how that worked out. Even though there looks to be some flex in the reg mounting area, it is secure and there is a plastic mounting plate behind it to provide stability.

OTS responded to questions concerning the picture with the hose clamp. They indicate that those are production ready masks, but that they are the CE versions for European countries. Perhaps the CE rules require the additional security of the hose clamp and maybe they require an ABV? I don't know.

Great thread going on here. I'm considering getting my hands on one of these for a Bonaire trip in November.

I have an Atomic Aquatics B2 with the "Comfort Swivel", so hoping that would help with any binding of the soft plastic some have posted here.

My main reason for looking into this for me is dry mouth and jaw fatigue. And eventually communication.

The ABV will be a nice addition.

Looking forward to others experience with the Spectrum here.

I've had my mask since April and have had the change dive it a bit now. I did notice that bit of flex at the regulator right from the beginning. At first I thought I didn't have that frame installed properly. I see it's purpose, it seemed a little awkward. I was a bit concerning at first by this but as I used it more, I really don't think it is putting any troubling stress on it that would lead to any problems. I attributed some of that flex to the fact that I have my regulator on a right angle adapter and attached to that is a quick disconnect fitting. I use a 40inch hose routed under my arm. Those quick disconnect fittings are a little hefty, so some of that flex I feel is from the pull resulting from the extra mass of that quick disconnect.

I have owned a Guardian and actually switched to the Spectrum. My only real criticism is the lack of the ABV. I do miss that. I am glad to hear they are developing one for it and will get when it comes out. So let me start off with this, I do love this mask. It is very comfortable. And such a lower profile than the Guardian. I love it's compactness. It is a breeze to clear and it doesn't leak. I get a fantastic seal with this mask and haven't had the slightest leak from it. You do have to use defog because the air you breath doesn't go up into the mask area, but that isn't a big deal...you just treat it like any other mask in that regard. I have had some issues with CO2 build up while using the Guardian in the past but have not any problems with that while using the Spectrum. I love the field of vision you get with this mask. I think it is much better than the Guardian and better that my normal mask. Your mileage may vary but I used to could count on a higher sac rate whenever I dove the Guardian than from using my normal reg. FFMs seem to use more air. My dives with the Spectrum have consistently been in line with my normal sac rate. Normally I can expect something between .45 and .5. My Guardian was a guaranteed at .6 or higher. So that is nice. I love the soft nose pocket. Makes equalizing a breeze. I never had any real problems with the nose block on the Guardian, but was a much bigger ordeal to equalize than with this mask. Comms works great and are every bit as good as when used with my Guardian. Oh yeah, I am very fond of the fact that it uses your own regulator. The Guardian reg was fine, but my aqualung legend breathes so much better and love getting to use it the mask. I found my self using the Guardian off and on and eventually gravitating toward my standard reg more often than not. I now don't want to leave home without it. I went through the trouble of dragging it with me on a cruise ship so I could have it when I got to Bermuda in June. Just got back from a weekend trip to the gulf coast and had some great dives with it there and have a trip to Bonaire planned next year for which I will definitely have it with me when I go.

Back
Top Bottom