First BC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... what @Diving Dubai said: with your weight requirements it's a bit hard to choose between SS and Al plates. The good news is the system's modular and you can always buy the extra plate later. If you plan on mostly diving freshwater 3mm suit in the near future, you might want to go Al with trim pockets, and start saving up for SS.

When faced with the choice between a lightweight, less negative plate and a SS plate, which is a quite common dilemma, I use a simple metric: Will the SS plate overweight the diver in any of their anticipated configurations? In other words will the Plate / reg / tank provide more ballast than their exposure suit requires?

If it does there are two choices; get a lightweight plate and add ballast with thicker suits, or use some minimum amount of exposure suit.

The classic circumstance is the diver that anticipates diving with a 3mm suit and al 80, no suit and an al 80, and possibly cold water diving with 5, 7 mm suit etc.

Clearly with thicker suits the SS plate is a benefit, and it's still ok with a 3mm suit and buoyant al 80, but in swim trunks or a dive skin a SS plate will overweight the diver.

Many of my customers elect to get the Stainless plate, with the understanding that they need to wear at least a 3mm suit. Most find that an acceptable tradeoff for having one plate cover a pretty broad range of applications.

Of course there are applications where the lightest possible plate still adds unwanted ballast, swimsuit + negative steel tanks for example, but these are fairly uncommon.

Tobin

If you are not in a hurry, check out the Freedom Contour SS backplate custom made by Eric. I have just purchased this particular backplate, although I should say I want to dive a variety of environments, but always single tank. Good luck!

Last edited:
He's making a new batch?

I guess I know what I want for my birthday

To the OP: actually, you might want to ask DGX sales people if you should get their "soft STA" with that wing, or a steel one, and I expect you'll want a pair of cam straps as well. That's another fifty -- this hobby is definitely not a money-saver.
There is no need for STA and the pair of cam straps are included in the package. However I would add a pair of rubber PAD($1.75 each, tank straps and adapters) to protect the tank and from shifting in the strap.

Thanks everyone so much for all your replies! I don't see myself not wearing at least a 3mm wetsuit anywhere because I'm kind of a baby in the cold.

If you need more than 5kg additional weight then SS plate is a better option. The only problem of SS plate is the shear weight when travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom