Field stripping gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Which pieces of your equipment do you consider suitable to field strip?

What have you tore down, maintained and dove when away from the comforts of a workbench?

Sometimes I didn't want to sit out a dive and didn't have a spare accessible.

For me easy things include BCD inflators, second stage to flip a damaged seat, of course hp and lp hose orings.

More suitable for the DIY subgroup?

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
Spare dry suit seals, orings for all kinds of stuff (valves, connectors etc), always have a repair kit for 1/2 stages(all use same kits), IP gauge, tools to take apart all the gear, aquasure and cotol..
Part time guide /dm so I get to be prepared for anything..

I'm more of a spares kind of guy. Spare mask, spare computer, complete spare reg set, spare dry suit seals etc.

In short, anything ...

I've stripped 1st stages completely down, same with a few scooters on boats

2nd stages in water

Glued drysuits in bathrooms

Pulled off condoms in ditches

_R

I bring a spare first, spare second, spare inflator, and spare dump. However I usually have a spare first and spare second rebuilt kit just in case. I'll swap the regs but rebuild if I've got the time. Also o-rings of the most useful sizes.

If it's a rebreather dive it's also spare O2 cells, mushroom valves, spare QC's, and spare o-rings.

I subscribe to more of a swapsies modus operandi than a field strip. It's just easier and less time consuming. I'd rather rebuild a reg in the comfort of my room while having a beer than on a rocking boat holding up the rest of the divers, or a rickety table in the middle of the jungle.

I prefer bringing spares also. Most of my dives were either from shore or off a small commercial dive boat. You really do not have any time to play with gear on a commercial boat that needs to keep a schedule. Either you are ready to dive or not.

Yep me too... always bring spare key o-rings and basic tool kit.
Happy to help other divers if I can... so many 003 HP spool o-rings changed on Day 2 of a LOB trip :D

Re-build kits for all 1st & 2nd stages along with all tools needed to service (e.g. IP gauge). Spare mask & fin straps (mask is prescription so no spare). Spare O-rings. At home I also have swapables to save a local dive.

I serviced an H2Odyssey that developed an undetectable (no bubbles) micro bleed (overnight loss of some pressure) while on Roatan. The leak was so small that when filled at the begining of the day it held pressure for the morning and afternoon dives, so I could do the re-build in my room. All my 1st stages are piston and seriously easy to service with few tools.

Virtually all my dives are from shore, so I have the flexability to do a service between/before dives. That said, I do a full strip & clean & repair/replace & test at home before any trip that's not local. Prevention is way better than dealing with a problem during a trip.

Like others, I tend to bring spare assemblies and use those in preference to performing field repairs. I also use preventative maintenance and shakeout dives to reduce the incidence of failures.

I bring a supply of o-rings to every dive site and have tools to remove or retighten hoses and port plugs, and am prepared to open up a 2nd stage and adjust it or remove debris if needed. If I'm far from home I bring a spare reg set, mask, cylinder, and wing.

I carry tools to fix about anything but prefer to carry spares of small items like regs hoses mask straps, fin springs etc. on my last boat dive out of orange beach a rental reg malfunctioned for a guy. believe it or not there was nnot a spare on the boat (it was a small group, only 6 of us). I saved the guys dive when I loaned him my spare.

Back
Top Bottom