Use a backup SPG with air integration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like I should have Shearwater :D

However these SUUNTOs have kept me saved for the last 8 years I've diving with. So, I try to make the best use of them until they go caput.

After the Case 2, I start bringing spare CR2450 batteries, O-ring kit for them & right screwdriver for DIY battery replacement.

more like, if buying new, I wouldn't get anything but the Shearwater. It's not worth paying the upgrade costs until you feel you need to upgrade, or they die... Unfortunately death is highly unlikely

How would the same great case, button, screen design and build but with reduced software and computing ability save any money? I suspect you are paying for the display and the product development. Developing a lesser product is just more development cost, no?

do proper, conservative gas planning, and set a dive time limit predicated on your max depth vs. planned avg and a surface value of 700psi and so long as your SAC rate stays consistent, you can run to that time limit with minimal risk. You could also plan based on a SAC of 1.0 which is more conservative than your actual and while when you call the dive on time, you are likely to surface somewhere around 1000-1500psi, you at least got to dive to that point
Or you could just keep the redundant SPG attached and still have the tank pressure info you need in real time in the event your AI glitches...

If you look at the manual, you see that Shearwater recommends an SPG as backup. I follow this advice, even for recreational dives, as I don't want to have to end a dive prematurely in the unlikely event that the connection goes kaput for whatever reason.

But your okay with the possibility of ending a dive early because the SPG that you don't actually need blows out?

I have had AI on every dive I've ever done. Never had a problem.

I had an SPG on my reg set for doubles when I started tech diving. My 2 month old SPG blew an O-ring on the spool. Thankfully, before I actually got in the water.

Now, I only use wireless AI (on my back gas) even on tech dives.

I do carry a spare SPG in my kit. Just haven't needed it yet.

How would the same great case, button, screen design and build but with reduced software and computing ability save any money? I suspect you are paying for the display and the product development. Developing a lesser product is just more development cost, no?

I think the actual hardware is a small part of the cost. I also suspect that the development cost to sell a Perdix that only offered OC Rec mode would be very small. Seems like a Perdix Lite could possibly add a good chunk to the Shearwater bottom line...

Or you could just keep the redundant SPG attached and still have the tank pressure info you need in real time in the event your AI glitches...

AI transmitter has 2 O-rings (none dynamic), only one of which would result in a gas loss if it blew.

An SPG has at least 3 O-rings (2 dynamic) plus the HP hose itself. All of which yield gas loss if they blow. Why add all those failure points when AI (the PPS version, anyway) has proven so reliable and the consequences of it dying are so minimal?

On the subject of AI and SAC, I have been in off-forum communication with a few people at Shearwater. I expressed interest in a future software release having cf per minute displayed rather than or in addition to psi per minute, particularly since that is how TEC divers are trained and their own dive planning software expresses it in cf.

They said that they would consider it.

I think the actual hardware is a small part of the cost. I also suspect that the development cost to sell a Perdix that only offered OC Rec mode would be very small. Seems like a Perdix Lite could possibly add a good chunk to the Shearwater bottom line...

I concur :)

Limited software at a much reduced pricetag would help sales tremendously (imo of course). The tech is already there, they just need to lock some features.

On the subject of AI and SAC, I have been in off-forum communication with a few people at Shearwater. I expressed interest in a future software release having cf per minute displayed rather than or in addition to psi per minute, particularly since that is how TEC divers are trained and their own dive planning software expresses it in cf.

They said that they would consider it.
The manual says it doesn't do that because divers might forget to enter the tank size and thus could have erroneous info displayed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom