Datamask not reading air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using my datamask for several years and I will mourn the day it truly dies. On a recent dive trip one of the divemasters asked how I liked it and followed up with "and it still works?". That was after the first dive of the morning. On the second dive it no longer showed my air. It shows everything else - depth, estimated dive time, even my safety stop and warning to slow my ascent. But no air.

Is this perhaps a pairing issue? Is there a way to reset the computer? We already changed out the batteries in the mask and transmitter (new batteries in July - but we changed the batteries again that afternoon, just in case it was the problem).

I hope there's an easy fix for this. I already dive with redundancies (analog spg & a Gecko) but I LOVE my datamask.

Thanks.

Hi @Kimela

I recently had a similar problem with a 7 year old VT3/1000 dives. I determined that it was the transmitter by pairing with my son's transmitter from his VT4. If you don't have another transmitter, you could take it into a dealer and try it with one of their transmitters. Oceanic/Huish sent me a brand new transmitter through their Full Service and Calibration program for $120 Support » Service Unfortunately, your Datamask is no longer supported by the program, either is my VT3

Good luck and good diving,

Craig

Thanks Craig. This is worth giving a try. If it will pair - and show air - with another transmitter I would consider buying a new transmitter. It's too bad these masks are no longer supported. :(

I need to send the transmitter back to Oceanic/Huish to have them service it for $120. If they can't fix it for $120 they will not charge me - and they will offer advice on upgrading, etc. If they can't fix it, perhaps they will offer a discount on something else? I'll update when I take action. A brand new transmitter is $399 - I won't be going that route.

I need to send the transmitter back to Oceanic/Huish to have them service it for $120. If they can't fix it for $120 they will not charge me - and they will offer advice on upgrading, etc. If they can't fix it, perhaps they will offer a discount on something else? I'll update when I take action. A brand new transmitter is $399 - I won't be going that route.
When my transmitter went out for my VT3, they sent me a brand new transmitter for $120. Good luck.

Just my two cents, but I suspect the datamask transmitter is the same used for Shearwater, Hollis, Aeris. They are still produced by the same company (Pelagic) now owned by aqualung, so, maybe you could buy a 2nd hand transmitter or even a new one for less than $399.

I hooked up my mask to another transmitter that my husband had and determined that the mask is fine, but my transmitter is not functioning properly (doesn't allow me to read air). Sent in the transmitter via local LDS. Oceanic requested me send in the mask too. Now they have both and I'm hoping for a good resolution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom