Belize Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigtank1958

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking to travel this January or February to either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. 2 couples wives are non diver beach and shoppers. Need ideas for resorts, where to stay and where not to stay. thanks in advance for your help.

fair warning this info is from around 4 years ago... Caye caulker is very rustic, minimal "tourist shopping" and minus the main drag not much to do in the evenings. having said that the vibe during the day was very peaceful and the diving was great from my memory. however the island did have a run down feel and I had a half ***ed attempted mugging take place on the evening so less than enthused with the vibe in other ways. personally i thought placencia was much nicer, plus no beaches to speak of in caye caulker for the wives to relax at, google "the split or spit" at Caye Caulker. We went as backpackers and felt it was a weird mix of overpriced "island rustic for retired rich white people" and a run down island with an inordinate number of crackheads and angry rasta's. I have never heard "white boy, give me a dollar" as often as on Caye Caulker, Belize city was better and that was no scenic walk in the park. Ambergris is very much a built up, touristy, shinier island, more shopping, more dining, more expense. Didn't dive out of Ambergris but spent a few days there, and dove north of Caye Caulker a few times so might have some dive site overlap. Overall impression, overpriced, good food, fun and safe diving, good rental equipment (before I had my own gear), some crack cocaine issues, probably won't go back. Again just my impression, lots of people love Caye Caulker and Ambergris. For the wives sanity might consider Ambergris, but can't speak to their beaches if any. Best thing I can say is youtube helps a lot to get a feel for the environment in my experience, watch some videos and see what you think. Highlights of the 2 week trip.... beaches at placencia, sailing trip down the coast with raggamuffin tours, and outdoorsy stuff inland at a San Ignacio area jungle lodge. hope this helps and let me know if you have any specific questions. Stayed at Colinda's Cabanas in Caye Caulker (nice but rustic), some beige box in Ambergris, forget the name.

Shopping? Lol, not too much of that on the Cayes....Amigo Del Mar on Ambergis Caye is my suggestion for a dive operator.

With wives that are non divers, the south coast from Hopkins to Placencia may be a better destination due close proximity to loads of inland adventures plus better beaches.

fair warning this info is from around 4 years ago... Caye caulker is very rustic, minimal "tourist shopping" and minus the main drag not much to do in the evenings. having said that the vibe during the day was very peaceful and the diving was great from my memory. however the island did have a run down feel and I had a half ***ed attempted mugging take place on the evening so less than enthused with the vibe in other ways. personally i thought placencia was much nicer, plus no beaches to speak of in caye caulker for the wives to relax at, google "the split or spit" at Caye Caulker. We went as backpackers and felt it was a weird mix of overpriced "island rustic for retired rich white people" and a run down island with an inordinate number of crackheads and angry rasta's. I have never heard "white boy, give me a dollar" as often as on Caye Caulker, Belize city was better and that was no scenic walk in the park. Ambergris is very much a built up, touristy, shinier island, more shopping, more dining, more expense. Didn't dive out of Ambergris but spent a few days there, and dove north of Caye Caulker a few times so might have some dive site overlap. Overall impression, overpriced, good food, fun and safe diving, good rental equipment (before I had my own gear), some crack cocaine issues, probably won't go back. Again just my impression, lots of people love Caye Caulker and Ambergris. For the wives sanity might consider Ambergris, but can't speak to their beaches if any. Best thing I can say is youtube helps a lot to get a feel for the environment in my experience, watch some videos and see what you think. Highlights of the 2 week trip.... beaches at placencia, sailing trip down the coast with raggamuffin tours, and outdoorsy stuff inland at a San Ignacio area jungle lodge. hope this helps and let me know if you have any specific questions. Stayed at Colinda's Cabanas in Caye Caulker (nice but rustic), some beige box in Ambergris, forget the name.

I've been to Caye Caulker twice in the last 2 years and never experienced any of what you mentioned. No, it doesn't have shiney condos or tourist trinket shops like San Pedro, no it doesn't have the traffic, car exhaust, and noise that San Pedro does. The diving is in the same places that you would dive in San Pedro. Hmmm......I choose Caye Caulker hands down!

Not a lot of shopping going on in Belize, lol, beyond the usual tourist gift shops and Belize City's "Tourism Village," which caters to the cruise ship crowds. But there are a few authentic jewelry and woodworking shops that produce some great stuff. The Orange Gallery is definitely worth a look but it's on the road to San Ignacio. If you get that far in, you can't miss it.

I've never been to AC but it's the most popular destination spot and with that comes both good and bad. More going on but more people to deal with. I was surprised to read Errn's account of being hassled for money at Caye Caulker as I thought that only happened in Belize City. I go to Placencia every year for the great beaches and easy access to the rest of the country.

Once you've picked a destination, you can get lots of advice on where to stay and not stay.

It actually surprised me too as far as the hassle, might have just been a one off, and again this was years ago, but still left a bad taste in my mouth. I think the thing that threw me the most was that the mugging attempt was only a block or 2 west of the "front street" in the early evening. 7 or 8 pm, and I was told if i remember correctly, "you don't belong here white boy, gimme your wallet". I am neither shy nor averse to a bit of rough and tumble so just backed away quick with my guard up and they let me walk with a few threats and posturing. I really wanted to love Caye Caulker since it seemed to check all the boxes but I just left feeling underwhelmed. I agree, I thought Belize City would be the worst and it is a bit grimy but compared to Managua or Kingston was fine, at least during the day. Again not to trash Belize in its entirety, I really loved the sailing trip down the coast, Placencia and San Ignacio area were fun. I think the feel my buddy and I both walked away with was that if it was your first time to an "exotic" destination it would have been unique and awesome, but having traveled a bit it just seemed meh regarding prices, hassles, etc...

But again the diving was very enjoyable and despite the mugging attempt and minor hassles was still worth doing once. In regard to the OP, I was really just trying to get across not much beaches or shopping for the SO's in Caye Caulker. I still think for a romantic, rustic, couple's getaway focused on diving and in an English speaking country with good food and cute lodging Caye Caulker would work well, just not for shopping and beaches. I was thinking between Caye Caulker and Ambergris he might be better served by AC based on what he said his SO wanted. And for perspective i am a mid 30's backpacker type who does street food and hostels when with friends and Air B&B and mid/high end restaurants when with the SO.

Based on the criteria given I'd suggest AC. There are plenty of resorts and nightlife and more shopping but it was primarily souvenirs. But still more options than what you're going to have in Caye Cauker, Hopkins or Placencia. I used Amigos Del Mar for diving when I was there a couple weeks ago and they were a solid, well run operation. Local dive sites were only about 10 minutes away and they came back to their dock during surface time. Also, they were willing to go out even if they only had a couple divers. Operators in Southern Belize are more likely to cancel if they don't have enough butts on the boat due to costs associated with the fuel to get you 45 minutes or more to the dive sites. There are some nice resorts and beaches in Hopkins and Placencia as well as good dining and access to mainland activities though. But if the wives aren't interested in Mayan ruins or getting out in nature, mainland attractions might not be a factor.

Operators in Southern Belize are more likely to cancel if they don't have enough butts on the boat due to costs associated with the fuel to get you 45 minutes or more to the dive sites.

At Splash, based in Placencia, we often go out with as few as two divers, particularly during the slow season

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom