This how a Eel return in a hole!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks similar to a cusk eel...at least the behavior does.

Please don't chase animals.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure it is a garden eel.

Watch it on it's highest quality setting.

I'm no expert either, but Garden Eels usually live together, that's why they are called Garden Eels. When they are popping out on the current to feed on planktons, the scene is like field of grass in a valley. When you see a single eel swimming like that, it's more like a snake eel. I see all kinds of snake eels swimming around in Lembeh & retreat backwards to sandy bottom, especially during night dives.

I'm no expert either, but Garden Eels usually live together, that's why they are called Garden Eels. When they are popping out on the current to feed on planktons, the scene is like field of grass in a valley. When you see a single eel swimming like that, it's more like a snake eel. I see all kinds of snake eels swimming around in Lembeh & retreat backwards to sandy bottom, especially during night dives.
I would imagine that is exactly why people are questioning the actions of this videographer. This garden eel is obviously away from it's garden. Snake eels do indeed behave like this but have very different heads. Without hearing a backstory from the videographer we can only speculate, so hopefully he will chime in and explain. They do have predators that will dig them out. Snake eels will actually burrow right next to them then grab them by the tail..

Any time a diver is in the water he is interacting with the marine life. In my area, we rarely see striped bass underwater when on scuba. They can hear the racket we make long before we can see them and when we do see them they are on there way out. A gurgling shambling animal that comes across a reef is going to be disruptive of the environment. This eel was out in the open, did the OP harass it? Not sure, an eel in the open is easy prey for others, so he was already stressed. Last week I saw a bait ball, were they doing that because of me? I saw no other predators, so may be.

I much to my sadness have never made an effort to visit our greatest national parks because I know the stress tourism creates on those ecosystems. Life is full of compromises. Divers become advocates for the ecosystem and the environment, just as hunters do.

Any time a diver is in the water he is interacting with the marine life.

IMO there is a big difference between being in the water, more or less passively, and actively chasing an animal.

As Diver0001 points out, we don't know what is going on befind the camera or before it was turned on. What I am saying is when a diver is in the water he become part of the environment and that is not always benign. I have good buoyancy and trim, that doesn't mean i' never spook a fish or do something that will disrupt the ecosystem in some way. Looking at the video, I would not have followed so close behind the eel. If I hadn't been as close and had two video lights on it, would that have been different? On a night dive I was filming a fish and a squid came in and attacked it, because of the light, how would that fish that was killed and eaten feel? Better or worse than the eel? Remember the jet fuel burned to get to the land of garden eel?

I am not saying chase the eel. What I am saying is keep a wider perspective on how we impact the ecosystem, because we do....

sorry for reply now, its late... ok so i dont know i am a criminal diver..., for information, i start to record the video when the eel go out and start to swim!! ok i follow the eel but i dont think i disturb the eel, how to know if the eel are scared... i just see the eel are very Strange, still moving and the sand and when i start to record the eel go out and swim!! some people take a pictures or videos with dolphins, like play with the dolphins but maybe you disturb the dolphins to, how to know?...
i just trying to share what can i find underwater, i love diving, i always respect the sea, but people prefer talking bad and not trying to know the true...
i just making a video and i will not stop it, sorry for people dont like and thank a lot for people enjoy!!!

best regards for everybody!!!!! enjoy your life and a lot of beautiful dives for everyone!!!
regards: Emeric.Ben

ps: sorry for my bad English i m a french guy:snorkel:

sorry for my bad English i m a french guy

Beautifully said!! No one could have said what you said better, not even Shakespeare himself :)

Wow - you have a pretty limited definition of harassment. I wonder if you would consider it harassment if someone huge and dangerous looking stalked you and chased you around your neighborhood.

Yes, in lower Manhattan, twice, and I navigated it perfectly without a serious fight.

Yes, in lower Manhattan, twice, and I navigated it perfectly without a serious fight.

And you don't feel that was harassment? Just because you didn't have a serious fight? New York City is certainly different than upstate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom