MD Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allie Ann

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm Allie. I recently got into the scuba diving scene. Is anyone familiar with ant good places to dive in or near Maryland?

Welcome!

Within the state your options are limited, but you do have some places.

There's a couple of boats that run out of Ocean City, MD -- OC Diveboat and the OC Diver. These run to the wrecks/reefs off the shores of Ocean City.

Hyde's Quarry is up in Westminster/New Windsor and is open on the weekends. We'll also be doing some "First Friday of the Month" afternoon/evening hours starting in June. (Hyde's will also be open on Memorial Day monday, in addition to normal Sat-Sun hours).

During oyster season, typically Sept-Dec, there's some oyster diving happening in the Chesapeake Bay.

There's actually a German U-boat (U-1105) in the Potomac River, but as I understand it the diving is very challenging.

Going outside of the state, you have Dutch Springs to the north, Lake Phoenix to the South, and a little further you get into some of the off-shore diving off of NC.

There is also Millbrook, in Haymarket VA, once known as a quarry, now alleged to be a lake. There used to be a great website called CrappyDiveSites.com, which had Millbrook as its first entry. Millbrook has gone downhill since its halcyon days when it was infested with zebra mussels. The state killed the mussels and consequently the viz.

howdy and welcome from south Florida.....we have diving down here and lot's of room for you and yours.

During oyster season, typically Sept-Dec, there's some oyster diving happening in the Chesapeake Bay.

Could you tell me a little more about the oyster diving? I hadn't heard of this (though there's no real reason I should have heard of it).

Basically you're in 10-15 feet of water on an oyster bar, stuffing what you find into a bag. Each person on the boat is allowed a bushel (this is referring to recreational oystering) you can probably buy a bushel of oysters cheaper than it is to go dive for them, but it's a fun experience and you know just how fresh they are.

Water gets cold later in the year - I did one in late December a couple years ago and it was about 37 degrees as I recall.

Basically you're in 10-15 feet of water on an oyster bar, stuffing what you find into a bag. Each person on the boat is allowed a bushel (this is referring to recreational oystering) you can probably buy a bushel of oysters cheaper than it is to go dive for them, but it's a fun experience and you know just how fresh they are.

Water gets cold later in the year - I did one in late December a couple years ago and it was about 37 degrees as I recall.

Thanks, TravisD! It looks like something to try, at least once.

looking for info.
Just found out as a west Va resident I can not dive for oysters in MD waters per DNR.
I was working to schedule 2 different dives when I came across this bit of info.
can anyone help me out with oyster dive locations or charters that I can get into as a non residence

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom