Black Friday Deals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jormar1990

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well after about a decade of causal vacation diving, I am finally ready to get "serious" and am looking to purchase my first set of gear. Are there usually any Black Friday deals I should keep an eye out for? I will be buying a reg set, BP/W, computer, and wetsuit. Pretty set on buying new stuff that will last me a long time.

Thanks!

Last year leisurepro did a pre-Christmas daily deal, every day a different good deal. Under the forum about good deals, you will find posts about last year's deals to give you an idea of what quality products and how steep discounts. But each deal only lasted 24 hours. My suggestion, if you can save up until then, have a list of equipment you can buy some things as they pop up, then fill in with remaining needs. Last year was not cheap o stuff, but often outgoing good models if that is a concern for you.
No predicting what order, or what gear makes it very catch as catch can.
The only thing you might want for travel that is not going to be on sale is Freedom Contour backplate, that I just ordered. Ss, but low weight for travel and home use.

Last edited:
Just be careful and don't let purchasing decisions be made based solely on the best deal you can get.

For me, there are some gear items that are pretty standard from brand to brand, so getting a good deal makes sense. For things, like regulators, I can easily pass up even a killer deal for a reg that is not one of the two brands I like to dive.

I suggest getting your gear "wish list" narrowed down, and then go hunting.

Dive Right In Scuba kind of went nuts last year.... I picked up a HOG Al back plate for $60, and a Hog Tropical wing for $120 iirc. Northeast Scuba Supply had some Transplate harnesses for $75 ish.

There were good deals at Leisure Pro, but nothing that jumped out that I needed.

One of the best deals I have found this year were newer gently used Scubapro MK25 EVO regs with s600 2nd stages, serviced and shipped, for $350 from Beaver Divers in Denver. Pretty happy with that purchase. That deal had nothing to do with Black Friday.

Black Friday never mattered until I got certified!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Jay

Good info here, thanks. Looks like I need to keep my eye on the deals forum, Leisure Pro, DRIS, Northeast Scuba. I have been looking at HOG regs and it seems like they have been on sale for Black Friday in past years...anyone know if they will continue that? I have also heard good things about Deep 6 and it looks like they had a small sale last year.

The only thing you might want for travel that is not going to be on sale is Freedom Contour backplate, that I just ordered. Ss, but low weight for travel and home use.

I googled this, it is intriguing. Do you have any pictures of it assembled? How much did it cost you? And how does one order? It appears to be a semi-custom thing.

It is custom made by @Eric Sedletzky and I read up and saw photos here on Scubaboard. It seems he only makes a batch of these specialty handmade Freedom Contour plates every five years or so. Here is a link The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.
But this is not a discount type deal, it is a rarely-available, not mass produced type deal, so it helps if you have already dove bp/w and want a dedicated single tank wing.
As I progress, I may add a doubles setup later, but I would never try to make one setup do both singles and doubles because I want to be as streamlined as possible in each situation.

Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag.

Yes, I am making plates again.
These are very limited run, all hand made in house, very exclusive, brand new design with several innovative new features.
I'm only making a few at a time and for the moment only taking care of people on wait list, and locals.
When the time comes I will open sales up to the general public.

Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag.

Yes, I am making plates again.
These are very limited run, all hand made in house, very exclusive, brand new design with several innovative new features.
I'm only making a few at a time and for the moment only taking care of people on wait list, and locals.
When the time comes I will open sales up to the general public.

Hey Eric. Can you post pics of the new design? I LOVE mine and wouldn't part with it for the world, so I'd love to see how you've improved it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom