Vintage C- Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erich S

Contributor
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Here are two of my old c-cards from 1977 and 1980. Any other old timers want to share their old cards?

This is what of left of my first card from 1962. It was starting to get pretty beat up so I made the huge mistake of laminating it with that cheap adhesive film. I assume that is what caused all the blue ink to get sucked off. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area before any of the certification agencies were operating there.

full.jpg

I took the course through Art's Aqua Shop in San Leandro, California. Has anyone heard from Art Pineo or Earl Pfeiffer? I lost track of them in the late 1960s.

This is from the US Navy First Class Diving School

full.jpg

Last edited:
@Akimbo

I particularly like the Navy certificate, mermaids? That's my kind of military :)

Yeah, the Navy is big on wall-hangers as status symbols. Compare the lowly Second Class Diver Certificate to the First Class.
full.jpg

I have a bronze plaque around here somewhere for getting certified as a sat diver. I guess they have to make up for the lousy pay somehow.

Last edited:
That is cool! My cards are modern compared to the ones that you guys have posted.

I particularly like the 285ft on air. People would lose their minds if someone posted on here they were doing air dives at that depth now!

*I'm not advocating anyone does this. Things have moved on for the better. But it's nice to see the certificate.

I particularly like the 285ft on air. People would lose their minds if someone posted on here they were doing air dives at that depth now!

We were just in training and... let's just say that none of us were at our best. Can you imagine salvaging a submarine on air that is even deeper?

... Chief Stillson's assignment coincided with the development of early submarines, and the tragic accidents that accompanied them. Stillson and his divers were sent to salvage the submarine F-4 after she sank off Pearl Harbor Hawaii with all hands in 1915. She was in 306'/93M of water. Divers experienced severe impairment caused by Nitrogen Narcosis which prompted the US Bureau of Mines to suggest Helium-Oxygen as a breathing mixture...

Those were some determined divers.

We were just in training and... let's just say that none of were at our best. Can you imagine salvaging a submarine on air that is even deeper?

I have "pushed the limits on air" but even that would be well outside my comfort zone even with a nice bottom stage to jump onto if required. Congratulations and kudos for doing it. Even on a bounce dive with nothing to do I'd not give that a go!

With rebreathers and helium being so common now I think dives like that are purely a thing of the past. But I love that not only did they happen but that you got a certificate to applaud it!

*Because I'm feeling sensible - and because this is in the basic part of the site. There is a very good reason dives like this are not done on air anymore. And I would not encourage anyone to even consider doing so. I am celebrating what was done, and not advocating others to do this. Things have moved on. Mostly for the better.

... But I love that not only did they happen but that you got a certificate to applaud it!

Don't be too impressed. There's a big difference between untethered recreational Scuba divers and surface-supplied heavy gear divers with more than 7 months (8 hours/day, 5 days/week) of training. I must admit, knowing that a cigar-chomping US Navy Master Diver is listening to every stupid thing you might say does keep a diver focused. They can just yank your butt off the bottom by pulling in hose if you try putting the make on mermaids (as-in narked out of your mind).

Edit: Keep in mind that the PPO2 limit (285' on air) was 2.0 then, not 1.4.

Back
Top Bottom