Thinking of pulling the trigger on an Oceanic GEO 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 or 22mm?

I purchased the Nitrox 17 band for my new Geo 2.0 and it's a no-go.
There is nowhere near enough clearance between the pins used to hold the factory band on and the band ( which is too thick to slide when captive under the pin.
The Geo came with a factory supplied band extension.

Last edited:
I purchased the Nitrox 17 band for my new Geo 2.0 and it's a no-go.
There is nowhere near enough clearance between the pins used to hold the factory band on and the band ( which is too thick to slide when captive under the pin.
The Geo came with a factory supplied band extension.

To get mine to fit my Atom, I had to remove the pins, then use a small jeweler's screwdriver to press the band into the gap that will be behind the pin, then slide the pin back in. It was tough. I think wetting the band might make it a little easier. But, knowing that a pin failure or buckle failure won't allow my computer to fall off my arm, and fitting comfortably over my 3mm wetsuit all the way up to my drysuit was worth the trouble (to me).

I can see mounting standard wrist computers with bungees but to do so with a low profile computer/ watch seems to defeat the purpose of the design.
I swapped my stock band out primarily because I didn't trust it to not break during a dive and lose the dive computer. Also I like having the bungees that are easily adjustable as I dive in many different exposure suits. I care about the functional aspect of the computer; I don't care about the stock bands or how it looks.

Also considering a GEO 2.0 as a backup. For anyone who is trying to learn how to navigate the settings/features you might try this video:

Quick bump to report that I just ordered a Geo 2 at my LDS. What I want to share most is the price. The lowest I've found online currently is $350. I assumed that was better than the LDS could do, but while I was there I asked if they could order the unit. Not only could they order it, but the price was $330. I belong to their dive club, so I get a 10% discount. The final price before tax was $296.40!

Moral of the story is always check with your friendly neighborhood dive shop! :thumb:

Moral of the story is always check with your friendly neighborhood dive shop! :thumb:

Not to rain on your parade, but FYI online retailers need to list their prices no lower than MAP. MAP stands for minimum ADVERTISED price, which is set by the manufacturer. This is why most online retailers list the same price. What they sell for is between you and the retailer. Most online retailers will deal, for example Divers Supply and Dolphin Scuba have forms you can fill out for a quote. I recently learned that Leisure Pro will deal if you call them. Divers Supply charges sales tax in Florida but Leisure Pro and Dolphin don't.

Not to rain on your parade, but FYI online retailers need to list their prices no lower than MAP. MAP stands for minimum ADVERTISED price, which is set by the manufacturer. This is why most online retailers list the same price. What they sell for is between you and the retailer. Most online retailers will deal, for example Divers Supply and Dolphin Scuba have forms you can fill out for a quote. I recently learned that Leisure Pro will deal if you call them. Divers Supply charges sales tax in Florida but Leisure Pro and Dolphin don't.
I never consider friendly advice to be rain on my parade. Thanks!

LP is pretty well known for offering the Geo 2.0 for $280 in a private email. But, I think $20 and tax is well worth it to support your LDS. And to have them support you, if you have a problem.

LP is pretty well known for offering the Geo 2.0 for $280 in a private email. But, I think $20 and tax is well worth it to support your LDS. And to have them support you, if you have a problem.
Absolutely. I routinely vote with my $. I would be in trouble if the shop went out of business.

I just got my Geo 2 the other day and will be trying it out tomorrow. Is the self adhering lens protector worth putting on? It seems that the lens is pretty high quality crystal.

Thanks,
Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom