And.....We're back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome back and glad to hear things are going well. I saw your username and thought "oh yeah". Interesting how occasionally someone who posts a lot over years all of a sudden disappears and never returns to the board. I remember one guy in particular, but basically nobody liked him.....

Nope. I'm still here... :wink::p:wink:

Welcome back, @TheHuth. Those sound like some cool dives. My only regret from diving Oahu was that I let someone talk me out of diving the Corsair in favor of some lava formations over on the west side. I am jealous! And of the Sea Cave dive, too!

It was amazing. The water was about 80 degrees, and didnt get any colder as we got deep. There was an eel cruising around the pistons, and an octopus inside a hole in the wing. It was really neat to see. Since I have family on the island, I'll be back probably within the next couple of years. I'll be doing this dive again for sure. I'm going to have to do some dives in Wreck Alley now that I'm home.

Glad you're back. That's one scaring thing about scuba; the chance that a health problem and spring up and knock a person out of it. Have fun at Anacapa.

Richard.

Be sure to dive the Sea Tiger on one of your Oahu trips. One of my favorite dives ever. Glad you're back at it. Good luck with your DM training. Catch you out at Anacapa!

What are other good dives on Oahu? My wife and I are Disney supergeeks, and we ended up buying in to Aulani on our last day there. That basically committed us to going back somewhat regularly.

I'd like to say one thing in my defense
No need. You were well within your comfort zone. There will always be armchair divers telling you what you should and shouldn't do.

Every diver should know and honor their individual limitations. What's good for you might be over the top for someone else. That doesn't make you wrong. I've got thousands of dives, but I also have a bad ankle and a bad knee. I've called 40 ft dives because the seas were too rough for my joints. If the dive op was willing to take you out, then I'm sure you were fine. That you had the most amazing dives of your life only vets your decision. Remember the second rule of diving: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason with no repercussions and no questions asked. You, not them, have that right. Who cares if they don't like your decision. No one appointed them the Scuba Police.

:scubinq:

What are other good dives on Oahu? My wife and I are Disney supergeeks, and we ended up buying in to Aulani on our last day there. That basically committed us to going back somewhat regularly.

I really liked Turtle Canyon also. Kaimana Divers is my, hands down, recommendation for Oahu, smaller boat and the staff was awesome. There are a couple of other Oahu Dive Ops on here too that others have had good experience with. Depending on the time of year you’re there, they’ll know what sites are best. We typically go in October so I haven’t been able to dive any of the North Shore sites.

107 feet in blue water is equal in many important ways to a dark cold lake at 60 feet, at least in my perception.

Be sure to dive the Sea Tiger on one of your Oahu trips. One of my favorite dives ever. Glad you're back at it. Good luck with your DM training. Catch you out at Anacapa!

Definitely! I did the Sea Tiger during the day and then went back and did it again as a night dive. Totally awesome.

I'm going to be one of those armchair divers the Chairman noted & throw in my 2 cents. :wink:

If you’ve been diving for years, a refresher may seem silly, even if you haven’t been underwater for a while. However, dive skills decay in as little as six months & some experts advocate taking an official refresher course if you've been out of the water for even that long. I personally believe that at the very least, it makes sense to sharpen your skills during your first dive in shallow water one-on-one with an expert. Worst case, you spent a little money and enjoyed an easy dive.

In your case, even with a photographic memory:
  • Your body hasn't done the skills in a while.
  • You're using rented equipment you are unfamiliar with.
  • You're going deep.
  • You're in an overhead environment. (Divers have died & been hurt even in caves with a "very wide open area that would be impossible to get lost in")
  • Your knee may give you trouble.
Even one of these factors adds to your risk, much less the combo of all of them.

I'm glad you're back on Scubaboard & loved the dives you did. I hope you continue to enjoy diving for years to come, but I think you are minimizing the risks you took which I'd say to you regardless of whether you posted in the basic area or advanced. I know how easy it is to believe you'll be fine because it feels like no time has passed. But better to be safe than sorry & not to find out you were wrong if/when an emergency occurs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom