YouTube series "Ask a Mortician" covers cave diving deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She seems to know more about diving than some news reporters.

Yea, that's not saying too much but overall not bad. If she'd replaced nitrogen narcosis and respitory failure with detrimental effects of CO2, would have been pretty accurate.

That bugged me too. Over all she did a pretty good job as a non-diver explanation.

My guess is she took cavern, possibly intro which is in keeping with her account. Flippers, fins, who cares.

I'm not Cave certified, but assume (having taken the basic Wreck course), you use reel & line. A warning to those venturing in without such probably should have been touched on.
I would also assume that when she said a depth of 890' she meant 890 total feet from surface, not 890' deep....

She didn't sound like a diver, but she has certainly seen some of the death videos and knows people who recovered bodies. And let's not forget, she has probably seen a crap load of really beat up corpses. My guess is she heard a first hand account of a body recovery and it freaked her out. It certainly would me if I then had to prep the body for cremation or burial. No desire at all to ever be in a cave and realize you aren't going to make it out... it's a scary way to go.

I'm not Cave certified, but assume (having taken the basic Wreck course), you use reel & line. A warning to those venturing in without such probably should have been touched on.
I would also assume that when she said a depth of 890' she meant 890 total feet from surface, not 890' deep....

I don't remember the depth but 890' sounds about right. There's a book (a bit biased but quite readable) on Shaw's dive to retrieve a body that you can take a look. My trimix instructor used Shaw's dive as a case study in being mindful of CO2 retention. This applies to both CC and OC although in the former the detrimental effects are amplified. In the colorful youtube video, I found nitrogen narcosis and respitory failure, as the mortician described, to be the only real weaknesses in her otherwise reasonable account.

Last edited:
She didn't sound like a diver, but she has certainly seen some of the death videos and knows people who recovered bodies. And let's not forget, she has probably seen a crap load of really beat up corpses. My guess is she heard a first hand account of a body recovery and it freaked her out. It certainly would me if I then had to prep the body for cremation or burial. No desire at all to ever be in a cave and realize you aren't going to make it out... it's a scary way to go.

Could be. One other positive about the video clip is that she managed to refrain from describing cave diving as "the most dangerous" sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom