help with my brand new Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I thought I would post an update to this. The reg was inspected by the shop that John recommended. For free I might add. Very nice place here in boulder. They made a few very small adjustments to the reg but they didn't think it was going to make a difference. I had a chance to jump in the pool yesterday and try it. Same stuff. I also had a buddy breath on it. He noticed the same thing I did. There is a noticeably difference in breathing effort from horizontal to upright.
Atomic sent me an RMA for it. Apparently its going back now :( Pretty disappointed

Last edited:
I was told there is almost certainly something wrong with the regulator, and it is indeed under warranty.

I was told there is almost certainly something wrong with the regulator, and it is indeed under warranty.

Yea it appears so, unfortuneatley I'm going to put it back in the box tomorrow and ship it off

My biggest fear is the issue is rather subtle so I'm concerned atomic will not be able to duplicate the issue and send it back unchanged.

Yea it appears so, unfortuneatley I'm going to put it back in the box tomorrow and ship it off

My biggest fear is the issue is rather subtle so I'm concerned atomic will not be able to duplicate the issue and send it back unchanged.

I doubt very much that will happen.

I doubt very much that will happen.
I hope so too, according to tracking my box arrived at atomic yesterday. So now I will just sit tight. I will post back when I get a report from them. Hopefully sooner then later as my wife and I were planning a trip

Well Atomic has gotten back to me. As i had previously feared, the only result from the inspection was a high intermediate pressure which obviously did not cause the issue.

They wont do anything about it so now im left screwed. Apparently i should of bought a different brand.
Complete waste of money. Atomic just lost me as a customer. Perhaps a youtube video about the incident will motivate Huish to not abuse its customers spending hundreds of dollars.

did you ask the shop or atomic what the 2nd stage cracking pressure is? and if atomic could stick it on the ANSTI and check the WOB?

I just received a call from another gentleman at Atomic. He said they were going to explore options and get back to me.
Will see what there solution is.

UPDATE ON THIS
So i told Atomic i wanted a replacement set of regs if they could not duplicate the problem. If they took it all apart and found an issue that made sense i would of gladly taken them back. The problem is they did not find anything other then a high IP which i knew it already had.

Long story short, Atomic now agreed to replace the setup and mail me a new set. So that is good news. However, im taken back a bit that i have even had to deal with this. I was thinking to purchase my wife the exact same setup but now i have doubts about the Atomic equipment. They were not thrilled about offering me a replacement but they are doing it. So it should be noted that they are trying to make things right.

I feel guilty for asking for a replacement but i dont feel comfortable getting the old setup back and using it.

Last edited:
I can see your misgivings it sucks to buy something new and immediately have to deal with warranty issues. I would not let it sour you on Atomic. At the end of the day I blame the shop you bought it from for not testing it as from the sounds of it some basic bench tests would have been enough for them to say - this reg is out of spec let me get another off the shelf. Any shop person should be able to check the IP and the cracking pressure.

I think AA did you right and do not think your request was unreasonable. Going forward, use the reg or now that you have a new one sell it and get your money back and move to another.

FWIW - years ago I bought a UW camera housing from a well known mfg. When I received it, the damn thing would not work. It was not a matter of an assembly issue but multiple design/mfg issues that should have been caught via QA. I sent the thing back and wrote the mfg. a scathing letter as I felt like they were selling a test product. In return I got a scathing reply. Though I never got the chance to use it, I posted my review and got raked over the coals for not giving them a chance to make it right. The flaws and response were bad enough I did not care about them trying to make it right. I cost me a bit but I moved on. The finial bit was a couple of months later another user posted from their dive trip basically the exact same problems. The mfg. told them to permanently remove and bend stuff to try and make it work. At that point I knew I made the right decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom