Save-a-dive Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spare mask
Spare mask strap
Spare fin straps (the originals I replaced with spring straps)
O rings
Bungee cord
Cave line
Bolt snap
Batteries for computer and lights
Small tool kit in case
Spare LP hose

When diving dry, I add:
Extra neck/wrist seals
Tool for changing neck seal
Extra suit inflator hose
you bring spare neck and wrist seals??? how long do those take you to change ? do you have enough time in the typical 1 hr surface interval? why a spare mask AND spare mask strap?

typically i bring O rings and a fin strap and thats it.
i have a backup light so if the primary dies so be it ill rock the backup , Ive been meaning to buy a backup mask but i will probably get around to that the day after the strap snaps on the only one i have.

any of the super rare things to need replacing I will either buy from someone onboard, the crew, or ill just sit out the 2nd dive.
some people would call it unprepared but in my mind not carrying all that spare stuff is worth possibly missing a 2nd dive every 100 trips. besides if im changing seals or inflators chances are im pissed off and diving probably isnt a good idea anyways......... a week long liveaboard would be a different story

@KentB

Seals take maybe 10-15 minutes to swap out. I practiced at home, as I've never had to do it while diving. This is why I got the replaceable silicone seals, so I don't have to miss a dive due to a torn seal.

Spare mask strap is so I don't have to mess with pulling strap off spare mask. Other divers have had to use my spare mask before.

Others have had to use my small toolkit before, as well.

The same save-a-dive kit I have goes with me on a boat or at the quarry. I just pull out the drysuit specific stuff if I'm diving wet.

The boats here are small six-packs, so they don't carry much in the way of spares for divers.

Best to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Last edited:
Surgical tubing will save you no matter what kind of strap you break--fin, mask, wristwatch....

Surgical tubing will save you no matter what kind of strap you break--fin, mask, wristwatch....
Good point. Now where did I last perform surgery??? :) :)

Cheers - M²

Actually, I too bring a spare mask and mask strap. I gave the latter to a buddy once. As well, I can use the spare mask after my strap breaks on the first dive and switch out the strap on my "good" mask for the second dive, if time allows.

Oh, I also bring my pony reg to shore dives as a spare, but not on a boat.

Last edited:
Adjustable wrench
Screwdriver
Multitool
o-ring picks
large o-ring kit and lube
zip ties
bungee cord
spare fin strap
spare mask
spare batteries
silicone grease
spare air spool
extra double enders
spare regulator
extra back up light

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I have a pretty good idea what I'll try and put together for a small boat dive kit for the time being. Shore dives are easier since I can just throw the bigger toolbox in the truck with anything/everything I have.

I fit my entire tool kit in a small pelican case (I think the 1150 model). On the boat, I put my BP/wing on the tanks and put the regs on the tanks and walk it onto the boat. All the rest of my gear (including the toolbox) fits nicely into a milk crate with the fins bungeed on top. It's nice, neat and compact. The only thing I can't fit in the milk crate is when I'm diving my 7mm semi-dry suit.

My save-a-dive kit contains:

- various o-rings
- adjustable wrench
- combination BC/valve handle wrench
- wrench and bent screwdriver for adjusting 2nd stages

That's it. Beyond that I rely on careful preventative maintenance including replacement of rubber components before they show signs of failure.

If I'm far from home and far from the nearest dive shop, I'll bring spare regs and a spare wing.

I carry the following:

Full set of Allen Wrenches
Leatherman type Multi-Tool
Spare dive knife (since I actually dive with shears and a trilobite)
Box of O-Rings
Spare Mask and Strap
Spare Fin Straps (came off my fins when I went to spring straps)
A few cheap carabiners
A handful of bolt snaps
50 feet of Paracord (Useful for attaching things to carabiners and d-rings. Metal to Metal is bad.)
Spare Batteries for Primary and Secondary light
1 Roll Gorilla Tape (Better than duct tape - more water resistance)
Handful of Various Size Zip Ties (Cheap way to attach things to things, fix reg mouthpieces)
2x Spare Regulator Rubber Mouthpiece
1 Emergency Medical Contact Card
Small First Aid Kit

It's not all diving specific, and it's not all needed... but it all fits in a little dry-bag and gets dropped in my gear box. When I head out, my phone and pocket knife and stuff all go in the dry bag as well.

I'll probably add some spare hoses soon, plus a cheap flat wrench that matches the first-stage hose bolts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom