Looking for knowledgeable opinion on water getting into regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kizzmansky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi divers. I don't know if anyone ever asked about this issue before, I can't find anything. I'm diving sidemount, I soak my regulators in a tub of fresh water (I am using screw on delrin caps). It worked fine. After last service during soaking the water somehow gets inside the same reg. The other one is fine. Everything else is fine. It was inspected with no issues. But every damn time water gets in this reg. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Is there a weak spot somewhere in the system that allows water to get in from outside when system is not pressurized? I'm so confused.

But you know there are more than one regulator type on the market, so to look for a possible weak point is quite difficult without knowing of what 1st you are writing about............o_O

I would never fully submerge any unpressurized 1st or 2nd stages under water. But I have seen other divers doing that with the dust cap on.
Are you sure your screw on dust cap is water tight?

The screw on cap is just a dust cover, it is not meant to be a watertight seal. It is likely that water is entering there. Another way water can enter the reg is by 'purging' it (or accidentally bumping the purge) underwater while it's unpressurized. As Centrals said, it's best not to submerge an unpressurized reg.

If the reg itself has a leak that lets water in, it would also be letting air out when it's pressurized. You would hear that on land or see bubbles underwater if that were the case.

It's a Hollis dc1 212 combos with omniswivels. Screw cap on the DIN regulator screws tight against the o-ring. It's always the same one, long hose side. The other set never got any water inside. I switched caps, same result. Plus there is no water on the din inlet. So must be somewhere else.

Last edited:
The screw on cap is just a dust cover, it is not meant to be a watertight seal. It is likely that water is entering there.

Somehow been managing to get away with doing just that for 20 years and some 3000 (combined with spouse) dives. They will seal a DIN outlet as well as being on a tank as long as the O-ring is present, in good shape, and the cap is properly made and tightened sufficiently.

Agree that some 2nd stages are deliberately designed to not be closed (seat saving mechanism) when not pressurized. My wife has one, SP 250HP. Doesn't work worth a damn. Been dunking that for years with just the DIN "dust cap" on for years.

I certainly would do a pressurized dunk test with careful inspection for bubbles. If it's getting in, and you cross tested the caps, it must be getting out.....somewhere.

Last edited:
where are you seeing the water? hp, lp, or underneath the enviro above the diaphragm? do you have the cracking set deliberately low on the primary and are you backing out the adjustment all the way before you do your soak? Does the swivel on the first stage have any difference in turning effort between pressurized and unpressurized?

It's a Hollis dc1 212 combos with omniswivels. Screw cap on the DIN regulator screws tight against the o-ring. It's always the same one, long hose side. The other set never got any water inside. I switched caps, same result. Plus there is no water on the din inlet. So must be somewhere else.

The 212 second stage is adjustable. When you turn the adjuster all the way out does it free-flow or hiss when on a tank?. I am thinking that when you clean the seat may be opening and letting some water in.

where are you seeing the water? hp, lp, or underneath the enviro above the diaphragm? do you have the cracking set deliberately low on the primary and are you backing out the adjustment all the way before you do your soak? Does the swivel on the first stage have any difference in turning effort between pressurized and unpressurized?
The 212 second stage is adjustable. When you turn the adjuster all the way out does it free-flow or hiss when on a tank?. I am thinking that when you clean the seat may be opening and letting some water in.

Depends on how long it's been soaking for. First time it was in the tub for maybe 20 mins, water got to every lp and hp hose. Usually it's in the second stage hose first. Adjustment is usually set to minimum or just above. I will check it again it with fully open when I get my tanks back. I'm starting to suspect that it depends on venturi switch position. I just have a habit of finishing dive with short hose reg and turning it "off" when I'm on the surface but usually forgetting to switch "off" long hose.

Back
Top Bottom