Ironman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sagesign

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at coming down in November over the week of Thanksgiving and just noticed that the Ironman is over that time, the weekend after Thanksgiving. I remember reading that it caused a bit of a headache for divers and ops a few years ago. Has it gotten better? Should I try to avoid that time? Thanks.

yes it is a mess for everyone

dave

Is anyone able to get boats out in the afternoon on Sunday the 26th? The morning is impossible as I understand it.

we get our boats out very early and load at our Aldora pier or hotel piers. The problem is driving anywhere if we need stuff—plan ahead.

dave

So is it basically just the 26th that is the PITA, or is it multiple days? I take it it's not the amount of people that come for the Ironman, but just the resources (roads and marina) that they need to use?

Last September I drove to the Marina the morning of the 70.3. I had to go down 65th to the end and then down to the cruise ship port. From the port to the Marina they had a single lane with a guide car. All in all it added maybe 15-20 minutes transit time but had an enjoyable dive. I believe they operate a similar system during the full Ironman for access to the Marina.
Last year the world triathlon cormpetition was held in Cozumel in early October and while they tried to lessen the impact at the marina I think it was a greater impact on diving than any Ironman due to the shear number of separate events.
Check with your OP but with two Ironman competitions a year most have it worked out pretty good. I would be more worried over losing a dive day to a random El Norte

From what I hear DM Jorge with 3P's took 1st place in his age group (yet again).

Memo to self - Pack another bulk box of those cookies and cream health bars for Jorge.

2nd memo to self - Start eating those health bars for breakfast and stop stuffing my face at the Casa Mexicana breakfast buffet. Nah... Forget that... Maybe in 2018.

Last edited:
I heard that the start of the swim has been moved to Chankanaab, meaning that the Caleta should be accessible. Does anyone have confirmation on this? The Ironman website still refers to the Marina Fonatur. Thanks.

How is it the day after? We fly in on the 27th...

Back
Top Bottom