strobe/camera housing compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eranf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I have a Canon WP-DC 38 housing for my Canon Power shot S-95 camera. I'm looking at a couple of strobes (INON and S&S), but can't tell whether they're compatible with the housing. I've read reviews and am tending towards the INON S-2000. Any specific info about connecting these (or other) strobes to this housing would be appreciated.

The strobes can be triggered in 2 ways: optically, or electrically. Both methods have their proponents.

But since your housing doesn't have an electrical port, you'll need to do it optically. There is an option to grab the camera flash optically and convert it to electrical using a Heinrich Weikamp Digital Adapter.

When I had your exact same set-up, I used the Heinrich's DA. It's a chunk of plastic that I bungied around the lens port, in front of the camera flash. Then the DA connected to an electrical Y-cable to the 2 Sea&Sea strobes. For some reason, I think my strobes had Nikonos connectors...but I'm not sure.

Alternately, you can trigger the strobes with just fiber optic cables. But you'll need to find a way to attach the ends of the fiber optics in front of the camera flash. I'm now using a different camera in a Nauticam housing. That housing has little holes in front of the camera flash where I just plug in the optic cables. You might be able to rig up something similar for your Canon housing. Just be sure that you can still fit the Canon diffuser onto the housing.

http://heinrichsweikamp.com/accessories/flashaccessories/digital-adapter.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom