Blue Angel Resort review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from 5 nights at Blue Angel, our first time to say there. We tend to stay at budget to intermediate hotels and our expectations are low cost, clean rooms, safe environment, basic utilities (toilets flush, showers work, hot water), friendly staff, and wifi.

The cost was super cheap, about $70/nt with special sale and orbitz promo. I wouldn't count on or expect that rate again. I think $90-100 is more typical and still a good price. The place seemed more than half empty which was surprising since they have a loyal following and are booked out at times so maybe it was just an unusually low demand period. A for price.

The rooms are clean and spacious with sliding doors onto a balcony with great oceanfront views. Many tourist locations charge out the wazoo for that alone. Never saw the housecleaners but every day we returned from diving to find a clean room, fresh towels, empty trash cans, and empty tip envelope. I'm not a picky sleeper and the beds were fine for me. There is a room safe in the bathroom under the counter. There is a mini fridge stocked with beer, soda, and water at reasonable costs. You can store your own stuff in there too. They ask you to not put toilet paper in the toilet which many Americans find disturbing but not much they can do about it without huge infrastructure upgrade, at least the waste can has a lid to keep it out of sight and smell. AC was kickass and cooled room quickly so we no hesitation to set it high (hot) when we left in the morning knowing we could cool it when needed. You can hear street traffic but not a big deal for us. Closing the bathroom door helped. There are 4 floors and no elevators so if you aren't up for stairs then this place isn't for you. Water pressure was low and hot water was not very hot. TV was antiquated but I seldom watch TV at all in Coz. A- for room.

(Feature Request: would be really nice though is a flat panel TV I could easily connect with my laptop/camera to look at photos and videos.)

Amenities. Wifi in the room was flaky and didn't work at all first two nights. This is unacceptable and rather silly when you consider how cheap routers and repeaters are and that they manage to put several hi-res color security cams on every floor. If just a few guests are deterred from revisiting you've lost money. And don't tell me 'just disconnect'. That's my choice. I'd like to sit on the balcony, have a beer, and browse facebook or check the sports scores. Wifi in the restaurant was ok. Kayaks were not available. Or rather, the doubles kayak was not. There is one double and one single. Not much point if my partner and I can't enjoy it together. We could not make sense of the explanation. Don't advertise an amenity if you cannot provide it. C on this one.

Staff was always pleasant and spoke basic English but not fluent enough to resolve complex issues. Was unable to understand issue with room wifi beyond "broken, maybe fixed tomorrow". Or why kayaks not available. Apparently checkout begins at 7am and nobody is available that can do it earlier. My partner had a 8am flight from Czm and I had a 11:30am flight from Cun. It worked out for us both since things went smooth but I would have felt more comfy about my bag drag being on the 7am ferry than the 8am ferry.
Not their fault. We're in Mexico. But would be nice if someone on site was fluent given the number of guests that speak English. B+

We did not use Blue Angel for diving. It would have been really convenient but their trip prices are too high. They want $90 plus 16% tax on multi-trips and that doesn't even include rinsing and storing your gear. Diving with them would have cost us an extra $300 total and the only thing it would have got us is $40 saved in tank rental fees. I only saw two other divers using them, several being picked up by other boats. I won't grade this but I think they are "missing the boat" here.

Diving facilities are good. The pier is available for all pickups which is a pleasant surprise considering they have their own dive boats. I'm sure they would prefer you use their boats and hope they encourage that by making their boats more attractive in pricing and services rather than banning competition. Rinse tanks are available and water seemed clean. Drying racks and camera bucket. We didn't use the dive lockers and not even sure if we were eligible to but you'd need your own bike log to semi-secure them. They are just crates in a concrete cutout with eyebolts to run a lock. Even with a lock they wouldn't be fully secure. Tanks are available 24/7. Dive shop closes at 5pm so I guess it's the honor system after that. B+

Restaurant is excellent. I had seen some say they are high priced but didn't think so. Breakfasts are included. You have a dozen or more excellent choices but the Blue Angel Breakfast worked for me (2 eggs, pile of bacon, tasty papas, and toast) Dinners were mostly $10-12, most local beers $3 and mixed drinks $7-8. Happy hour 4pm-6:30pm was 2 for 1 on all drinks and 2 for $10 on appetizers (normally $7-12 each). They call them "mini items" but are generous portions. Both dinners and appies were tasty. Service is quick. One nice touch is you can charge everything to your room number (including tips and dive services) and settle up at checkout. You sign a ticket and get a receipt each time, then checkout will give you a print of itemized charges to verify. Easy A.

Overall I'd give it a B+ but things to improve that could bump it to A and wouldn't cost big bucks are better room wifi, more secure dive lockers, and early checkout.

I stayed there a while back & although it's a bit old my album can give people an idea what they'll get staying there. We still eat there at least once every trip.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskFkFkzo

I just stayed there for 7 nights. Ditto on most everything you say. I brought a plastic bag full of TP down to the public restrooms and dumped it there when necessary - that took care of that. Dive gear storage was a breeze - dunk it, have a beer while it dries a little then put it out on the room's balcony. The 3 of us stayed there for 7 nights and didn't eat anywhere else! (and we're picky eaters). The more you dive with them the cheaper the rate. Loved the dive crews (Elodi and Julio were great as was Carlos!). Room wi-fi was flaky as mentioned so I just took the iPad downstairs and used the lobby wi-fi in the garden and enjoyed the view and a cooler breeze.
Snorkeling off the pier is fantastic - you can see the people that payed big bucks for a boat to take them snorkeling right where we snorkeled for free. All the staff was incredibly friendly; the girl at the front desk even let me use her personal cell phone to call Mayair to reschedule a flight. Free bottled water on each floor is a big plus. I wish I could go back tomorrow :)

Thanks for the review! Just the kind of practical, pro.s & con.s info. I'd need. I hope to spend a week on Coz. one of these years, maybe a 'scuba trip disguised as a family vacation' with non-divers along, and trying to weigh the various hotel/resort options is dauntingly complex.

On the other hand, I spent most of my childhood in a country home with a septic tank, and live just outside town with a septic tank now, and putting TP in a garbage can instead of flushing it is old hat to me. The smell's usually not that bad. It's 'different' for some people, but shouldn't be too bad. That's not the first time I've read of this in Mexico; how common is it at hotels & resorts in Coz.?

Richard.

Thanks for the review! Just the kind of practical, pro.s & con.s info. I'd need. I hope to spend a week on Coz. one of these years, maybe a 'scuba trip disguised as a family vacation' with non-divers along, and trying to weigh the various hotel/resort options is dauntingly complex.

On the other hand, I spent most of my childhood in a country home with a septic tank, and live just outside town with a septic tank now, and putting TP in a garbage can instead of flushing it is old hat to me. The smell's usually not that bad. It's 'different' for some people, but shouldn't be too bad. That's not the first time I've read of this in Mexico; how common is it at hotels & resorts in Coz.?

Richard.
You are not supposed to flush TP anywhere in Yucatan and Q. Roo that I have been in 20 years.

We stayed there for a week in July. Good accurate review. I dove with them multiple times and had good experiences, but they vary a bit depending on who the divemaster is. The shore diving is decent and free (it is Cozumel, and the shore diving is not particularly good anywhere), so I took out a few small lionfish just to help the reef with my pole spear. I dove solo there. My biggest complaint is the wifi....it simply sucks.

I have been doing just that for many, many years at Blue Angel (owner: Eva), née Caribe Blu (owner: Alejandra), née La Reyna (owner: Arlene), née Lorena (owners: Arlene and Lorraine), née La Perla (the original owners: Javier and Emma, who still live across the street). We have a bit of a family (and friends) reunion there every May. There are lots of non-divers in the group, though most are fisherpersons. I am both. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

We are looking forward to May '18; we made our reservations when we were there this past May.

Wifi in the room was flaky and didn't work at all first two nights. This is unacceptable and rather silly when you consider how cheap routers and repeaters are and that they manage to put several hi-res color security cams on every floor.

I suspect that the less than optimal wifi is due at least in part to the building's construction. There is a whole lot of high density concrete, stone, and rebar in it; it's one of the reasons why it was the first hotel south of town to reopen after Wilma.

Another thing: For some time I have been hearing about internet problems all over the island; apparently the infrastructure is being strained by the number of connections being requested. That may have something to do with it as well.

Last edited:
I suspect that the less than optimal wifi is due at least in part to the building's construction. There is a whole lot of high density concrete, stone, and rebar in it; it's one of the reasons why it was the first hotel south of town to reopen after Wilma.

Another thing: For some time I have been hearing about internet problems all over the island; apparently the infrastructure is being strained by the number of connections being requested. That may have something to do with it as well.

A lot of places there are concrete - i.e. Casa Mexicana. And I'm not talking about high bandwidth trying to stream Netflix or such but simply connecting. When it doesn't work in the room and works fine in the restaurant, that isn't island infrastructure. That has xero to do with it. Good grief. I was able to connect to wifi on the ADO bus on the way to Cancun airport. To be unable to connect to wifi in your hotel room can ony be attributable to management not being concerned about it.

Bottom line - there are 20 rooms and decent routers can be had for $50 so you could put a router in every single room for $1000. Add some for labor. How much do you spend there in a typical week?

Almost everyone here has concurred with me on wifi being a problem. I see this as a relatively low cost issue to address that would have a high impact in customer perception. It may not have been a big deal in 2009. This is 2017. So let me say this. I really like the place but they WILL get the wifi upgraded - period - before I visit again. So there is at least $500 right off the bat that is on the line.

ReefHound, Thank you for your review. We are looking at going back there in Spring 2018.

It was our place to go back in the 80's when it was La Perla. The Wi-Fi didn't work back then either:(, but as I recall we had better things to do:D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom