SE Florida post Irma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reports. What is the typical viz in these areas?

:( No dives today, swell predictions finally turned out to be accurate. Nobody went out of Boynton. Drove up to Jupiter, JDC did not go out either. Hopefully better luck tomorrow, predictions don't look very promising through mid-week.

Ocean is flat from Boynton on south. Viz is marginal at best. Few more days at least. Mullet run is full on though

I went home to Philadelphia yesterday, I'll try again soon. The 4 dives I had in Boynton Beach on Thursday and Friday were quite good, despite the less than stellar visibility.

I just want to the beach and surf is up and the water looks very green. Looks like vis has a few more days at least to clean up. Weather for rest of week also looks iffy too. Note: was on the beach in Hollywood FL This past weekend and there was big 24 inch tall or more black coral branches above the water line. Most thought it was washed up junk with allot cleaned up as trash. Found 20 perfect clusters. It was near the Margrettaville resort. Don't think I have seen better ones diving even down deep.

Just wanted to pass along some more info. Hope everyone affected by Irma is doing well. Safe and fun diving to all.

Lost Reef Adventures
September 24 at 10:00pm
Hey there folks, we did a dive on the Vandenberg this afternoon to see how she fared through the hurricane. The good news is, she's still there, she's still upright, and all 5 mooring balls are still attached. Unfortunately the visibility was terrible because the silt is still stirred up. But, from what we could see .. Irma was powerful, the Vandy shifted so that the bow is now facing 125 degrees instead of due East (090 degrees) as she used to. It also appears that she slid down slope a little. Her main deck is now 100-104 feet, instead of 90-94 feet as it used to be. The keel under the bow now hangs out over the sand, and the maximum depth under the bow is now approximately 163 feet (approx 144 feet to the sand at the stern). Also, both antenna dishes took major hits. The starboard antenna dish now faces inward instead of out, and was stripped down to ribs. The port antenna dish collapsed and now sits on the deck, and was also stripped down to the ribs. All that said, she's still there, and still the premier recreational depth dive wreck of the Florida keys. So .. who wants to go diving?

Additional information on the Keys I wanted to pass along. Safe recovery and diving to all.

The Florida Keys & Key West
2 hrs ·

Good morning. Sunday Florida Keys sunrise in Islamorada. Three weeks ago Hurricane Irma crossed the Keys. We were all affected in different ways. Today marks the official day that visitors can return, but several regions of the Keys are not recovered, especially residents and businesses in the area northeast of Key West to the Seven Mile Bridge. While our Overseas Highway and basic infrastructure have returned, we hope you will be patient as we continue to heal. Key Largo and Key West were least impacted and most tourism facilities have resumed operations there. Some lodging and attractions have reopened in Islamorada and Marathon. More details at fla-keys. com.

Wanted to pass along Sea Dwellers video on recent conditions in Key Largo Post Irma. Have fun and dive safe.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom