Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having taken the small Otterbox on several dives, I'd be looking for the smallest container that will fit the key. A bouyant box is a PITA to deal with, and not well matched in shape.

Having taken the small Otterbox on several dives, I'd be looking for the smallest container that will fit the key. A bouyant box is a PITA to deal with, and not well matched in shape.

Lead shot mixed with epoxy glue works wonders in any box/container. That’s how you solve that problem.

Most modern cars don't actually require the key to be in the ignition to start. The FOB just needs to be inside the car, or next to the car to open the door. All the ones I have seen have metal key inside the fob that can be used to open the vehicle in the event of a dead battery. I simply remove the metal key and place it on my dog tags around my neck and lock the electronic part of the FOB in the vehicle.

I went to home depot and had a copy of the key made for running and diving, it will open the door but obviously won't start the ignition (push button start).

Most modern cars don't actually require the key to be in the ignition to start. The FOB just needs to be inside the car, or next to the car to open the door. All the ones I have seen have metal key inside the fob that can be used to open the vehicle in the event of a dead battery. I simply remove the metal key and place it on my dog tags around my neck and lock the electronic part of the FOB in the vehicle.

I went to home depot and had a copy of the key made for running and diving, it will open the door but obviously won't start the ignition (push button start).

This was my suggestion. Go to Home Depot and have the key duplicated, it won't start the car but at least you can open the door. Hide the electronic key inside and enjoy the dive.

However, I want to add a few things. First, if the key got wet rinse and dry it well before sticking it in the door, especially if it is your personal car. You do not want to corrode the lock. Second, if it is your personal car make sure you oil the lock frequently to repel the water.

This was my suggestion. Go to Home Depot and have the key duplicated, it won't start the car but at least you can open the door. Hide the electronic key inside and enjoy the dive.

However, I want to add a few things. First, if the key got wet rinse and dry it well before sticking it in the door, especially if it is your personal car. You do not want to corrode the lock. Second, if it is your personal car make sure you oil the lock frequently to repel the water.

Excellent reminder. I destroyed a padlock in 3 weeks for failure to rinse /dry the key prior to unlocking. The identical replacement lock (with some graphite scraped into it at the beginning) with the key rinsed and dried before use continued strong for 4 months until it was stolen.

And by rinse and dry I mean pop it in my mouth and then swing it though the air a couple times. Just taking the salt off and having it not dripping wet was sufficient in my low tech experience.

Observing the rinse method may have gave passersby an interesting story to relate I suspect of the diver of the regurgitating key. Must have wondered why a POS bicycle required such desperate security measures of swallowing a key.

Anyway. Good solution regarding copying or separating the key from the fob if the design allows for it easily.

I know you can't always count on this happening with a rental car but, if you do happen to get a rental car that has a gas door that you push the door to release and open it, you can store your keys behind the gas cap door. I do it all the time when I'm driving my truck when I go diving. And, a lot of the rental cars I've ended up with have gas cap doors like this.

@Clark Fletcher This is REALLY NOT A GREAT IDEA.

The bad guys watch you when you arrive and when you get into the water. They will be chortling to each other about the idiot gringo when they fish them out from inside the gas cap cover.

Peeps also tried those magnetic bumper containers. Same bad idea as yours.

@Clark Fletcher This is REALLY NOT A GREAT IDEA.

The bad guys watch you when you arrive and when you get into the water. They will be chortling to each other about the idiot gringo when they fish them out from inside the gas cap cover.

Peeps also tried those magnetic bumper containers. Same bad idea as yours.

And that's why the gringo looks around to make sure no one's watching before he puts his keys in there.

And that's why the gringo looks around to make sure no one's watching before he puts his keys in there.

LOL. Like that's "going" to work. You really believe that they stand near your vehicle wearing bright fluorescent yellow shirts marked THIEF. Easy for gringos to spot them.

Are you serious or are you just messing wid us?

LOL. Like that's "going" to work. You really believe that they stand near your vehicle wearing bright fluorescent yellow shirts marked THIEF. Easy for gringos to spot them.

Are you serious or are you just messing wid us?

I certainly don't do it when anyone is nearby. Give me a little more credit than that. But, I make a choice when I do that. I can risk someone walking around the parking lot, searching gas cap doors, and finding my keys. Or, I can take them with me and risk having them end up at the bottom of the ocean. My choice.

And, I don't typically dive near ghettos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom