Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, I don't typically dive near ghettos.

Hi Clark,

You'll notice the title of the thread:

NOT: Dumb places to place your keys while not diving near a ghetto

They, (the ghetto guys as you most eloquently call them), use binoculars to watch you from afar. Then they leisurely stroll over and remove the keys from your not-so-secret spot. This thread in its umpteenth iteration is here to offer sound advice to help people avoid having thieves steal their stuff while shore diving. Placing your keys under a gas cap or on top of the tire is really NOT good advice. Even when you're not diving near the ghetto.

Thanks for all the replies. Most of the pre-made dry storage solutions don't talk about depth rating in the specs, so I assumed they're more for snorkeling than diving. The locking ones that go somewhere on a car advertise to the world that we're not around, so for places like Hawaii where car vandalism is rampant probably not the smartest solution. There are always locals around when parking in Hawaii, so "hiding" when nobody is looking isn't really effective (nothing against Hawaii and locals, but it's just the way it is).

The OP seems to have ruled out hiding the key as a solution.

Hi Clark,

You'll notice the title of the thread:

NOT: Dumb places to place your keys while not diving near a ghetto

They, (the ghetto guys as you most eloquently call them), use binoculars to watch you from afar. Then they leisurely stroll over and remove the keys from your not-so-secret spot. This thread in its umpteenth iteration is here to offer sound advice to help people avoid having thieves steal their stuff while shore diving. Placing your keys under a gas cap or on top of the tire is really NOT good advice. Even when you're not diving near the ghetto.

Clearly, you have a great deal of experience breaking into cars. That being said, I yield to your expert opinion.

Clearly, you have a great deal of experience breaking into cars. That being said, I yield to your expert opinion.

No. I have a great deal of experience of having my car broken into. Living in NYC in the Eighties was a great teacher in this matter.

I prefer that it not happen to anyone else.

Your advice, while very well-intentioned, is naive and makes no sense whatsoever.

None of the places I've been to on Maui or the BI are at much risk of break-in. I've hidden my keys many times w/o issue. It's often not difficult to park in places where thieves with binoculars won't be watching. As I mentioned, on two occasions I returned from dives to find the rear hatch wide open, nothing missing. Not really one of those things I've found it necessary to worry much about, beyond simple steps to minimize temptation and secure things. Experience could change that, but so far in many trips, it hasn't.

No. I have a great deal of experience of having my car broken into. Living in NYC in the Eighties was a great teacher in this matter.

I prefer that it not happen to anyone else.

Your advice, while very well-intentioned, is naive and makes no sense whatsoever.

I've lived and worked all over the country (NY being one of them) and there are certainly places that I wouldn't even think about doing it.

But, believe it or not, there are places in this country were people don't have to worry having their cars broken into every time they turn around. Just because I happen to currently live in one of those places and feel comfortable leaving my keys is no reason to call me an idiot.

. . .
But, believe it or not, there are places in this country were people don't have to worry having their cars broken into every time they turn around.

Places with good diving?

I have long known about the issue with Bonaire. It hit closer to home when last year there was at least one reported smash-and-grab from a car parked by the boat ramp that divers use at Lake Jocassee, SC--inside a state park, where the rangers patrol! I don't leave keys or valuables in a parked car anymore, anywhere.

I don't typically dive near ghettos.

The sad part is you don't need to. I have heard stories about break-ins and thefts at the Blue Heron Bridge, at South Florida beaches, and Ginnie Springs to name a few. I was saddened to read about cars being vandalized in Hawaii. I was there in the early 90s and the locals were very friendly. I am not sure what happened. Wherever you go there are bad guys.

As a reminder, mark your gear and keep track of the serial numbers. Most thieves are stupid and don't realize that the marker can be removed with nail polish remover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom