Hollis Explorer no longer on website?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I noticed today that the Hollis Explorer 2 is not on the Hollis website any longer, although the Prism 2 is still there.
Does this mean that the Explorer is discontinued or now marketed by AUP and if so what will happen to product support in future?

Good news on the Hollis explorer. I believe, I found a third party service kit and O2 sensor.
I order one and waiting for it to come in. If everyone waits and let's me run a few test to see if it works. I will release the information. I should have answer by this Christmas. I think, I found someone to fix the LSS too. You may contact me @ ve7omd@gmail.com.

Thanks

The dumping of the Explorer is bad news for a number of scientific programs. A number of west coast university programs purchased multiple units because they were deemed relatively safe for a rebreather type unit. Now these programs are left with a number of very expensive and possibly useless paper weights.

Looks like a really good market opportunity for the right person who has the means to manufacture, repair and support a popular SCR.

I would like you know, there is a company that some answers for this problem. They ask myself to test a service kit and it worked. Just talk to them and they will let you know what is going on.

Pro Ocean Blue

Prooceanblue.ca

Thanks Angel Fish for heads up on Pro Ocean Blue, I see a number of "O" rings and stuff that look like they might be for the explorer but the site is under construction so not much info there yet- still it is encouraging.
I apologize for not responding early but we got pretty beat up by two hurricanes here and I still wont have electricity or normal internet until December (3 months!)
I was also talking to another manufacturer about a possible fix but proabably shouldn't say more about that at this time.

Does anyone out there find Hollis abruptly dumping the Explorer disturbing? I am purchasing a rebreather in 2018 and I was initially going to purchase the Explorer. I'm extremely grateful I decided to hold off and purchase a Prism (that decision delayed my purchase about 8 months) now I'm absolutely NOT making a rebreather purchase from Hollis as I find them to be totally untrustworthy.

Anyone out there agree with my decision?

Any suggestions on a rebreather?

Does anyone out there find Hollis abruptly dumping the Explorer disturbing? I am purchasing a rebreather in 2018 and I was initially going to purchase the Explorer. I'm extremely grateful I decided to hold off and purchase a Prism (that decision delayed my purchase about 8 months) now I'm absolutely NOT making a rebreather purchase from Hollis as I find them to be totally untrustworthy.

Anyone out there agree with my decision?

Any suggestions on a rebreather?

Meh, companies do this sort of thing all the time. And coupled with the fact that the Explorer had the complexity of an eCCR with none of the benefits, it's not really surprising that a $6000 SCR that was nothing more than a short term gas extender, didn't sell well enough for Huish to continue the product line after the takeover. It doesn't have the legs of a PSCR, and it's priced well north of the KISS units, and its niche is just way too small to be profitable considering the cost of production.

There's nothing really wrong with the Prism, it's just another bog standard CCR. There's nothing really special about it. It doesn't really offer anything new and innovative that would make me want to purchase one over any of the other units on the market. It doesn't have the bombproof construction of a Meg, the streamlined profile of an SF2, the redundancy of a Revo, the mass market saturation of an Inspo, the automated function of a Poseidon. It's just sort of there. Doesn't mean it's bad, just isn't anything special.

As for trusting Hollis, it's now owned by Huish, so it's got capital to back it up. As far as trusting them, that's a personal choice. I wouldn't buy a Prism in the first place so it's not really a decision I would have to make.

Meh, companies do this sort of thing all the time. And coupled with the fact that the Explorer had the complexity of an eCCR with none of the benefits, it's not really surprising that a $6000 SCR that was nothing more than a short term gas extender, didn't sell well enough for Huish to continue the product line after the takeover. It doesn't have the legs of a PSCR, and it's priced well north of the KISS units, and its niche is just way too small to be profitable considering the cost of production.

There's nothing really wrong with the Prism, it's just another bog standard CCR. There's nothing really special about it. It doesn't really offer anything new and innovative that would make me want to purchase one over any of the other units on the market. It doesn't have the bombproof construction of a Meg, the streamlined profile of an SF2, the redundancy of a Revo, the mass market saturation of an Inspo, the automated function of a Poseidon. It's just sort of there. Doesn't mean it's bad, just isn't anything special.

As for trusting Hollis, it's now owned by Huish, so it's got capital to back it up. As far as trusting them, that's a personal choice. I wouldn't buy a Prism in the first place so it's not really a decision I would have to make.

Huish has a lot of overlap in their current lines of equipment.

Dive retailers, in the current retail environment, are narrowing the lines and products
that they carry.

Back
Top Bottom