Who knew he or she was a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrumhornDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was listing to a podcast on a long drive last night. Actually, I listened to like 30. But one thing that stuck out to me from one of them was this quote:

"'Castro was an avid scuba diver...' One of the ideas was to put a colorful seashell on the seabed. 'And the shell would be so beautiful that Castro would feel compelled to pick it up and look at it, and then it would blow up and kill him.'"

I heard this listening to PRI's The World. Here is a link to the transcript: A secret sonic weapon in Havana? Scientists say 'no way.'

I don't know if it's true, nor do I want to initiate a debate on American Cuban policy. However, I did find it interesting that Castro was an avid diver. It made me wonder what other famous/infamous people not normally associated with diving are also divers.

I'm sure some of the many dive pros on SB must have taught or led some famous/infamous people on a dive or have some interesting stories. Who else have you encountered diving? Who has some interesting yarns to share? Who met a star before that person was famous? What were they like?

Here's one :) and he has a way with Morays!

Never met him, but I live near, and work up the road from, Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort (a dive quarry) in Hopkinsville, in southwestern KY. Here's a pic from back in 2012 posted on their website featuring former Vice President Al Gore getting certified. Here's a link to their webpage I found the pic on; I don't think it says who took the photo.

Al-Gore-Visit.jpg

Lauren Hutton, Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, Sandra Bullock, Nikki Taylor, Tom Cruise, Gene Hackman, David Crosby, Kevin Costner, Kathleen Turner, Penelope Cruz and Bill Gates among others.

Our DM at DiveBVI did rendezvous diving - they meet yachts w/tanks guide. One day he moored next to one and Tiger Woods welcomed him aboard. Tiger is a tech diver - maybe full cave.

So were the royals, Prince William and Kate - pre-kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom