Good shallow dive on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrycsr

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an experienced diver, but my girlfriend just got certified last year. I don't want to take her on a wall dive in Cozumel this time of year because of the possible downdraft currents. [My brother got swept over the wall and down to 130 feet once this time of year; made it out safe]

Could you recommend a good shore dive or shallow dive, like what would be a typical 2nd dive on a typical two tank boat dive?

Thanks.

Not much in the way of shore diving in Cozumel. Lots in the way of shallow reef dives that are accessible by boat. Any dive Op can provide you with a schedule and many or most will accommodate your request to dive only non-wall sites.

Most wall sites in Cozumel start as reefs and you swim towards and then, at your discretion, you swim over the wall. You could always just stay away from the dropoff, and/or stay behind other divers and see if they're having any issues before you try it yourself.

Colombia shallows, palencar gardens, paradise reef, the ship wrecks (off cafe del Mar), the reef off sunset Beach. Re: shore diving there is generally 3 ledges or sometimes two only or sometimes two and an uprising in the middle. 4-15ft. 25-45ft and 50-500ft (don't know the bottom of the wall.)

Another thought : If a diver was to stay 500ft away from the wall where the 'best' diving is there is still tons to enjoy and a downwelling would need to be remarkable to sweep that far as quickly enough to be dangerous. That would allow you to use a regular 2 tank boat dive instead of a custom charter or joining an OW class boat. Shore diving has its own challenges for a new diver and currents can be unpredictable in 30ft as well making the return to shore difficult. When the current is changing from North to SOUTH (as it often does this time of year) there is a period of rip tide that can be disorienting and difficult to swim against to get back to shore.

The 'house reefs' off blue angel, Casa del Mar, paradise divers, tikila restaurant, barracuda hotel etc all keep divers interested though the coral isn't 'Cozumel quality'. But a lot of fun can be had in 5-20ft with some curious critters and pretty things.

Regards,
Cameron

FWIW, the current varies from day to day but "this time of year" variation is anecdotal.

I don't want to take her on a wall dive in Cozumel this time of year because of the possible downdraft currents

I've got 2000+ dives over the last 28 years and over 250 dives in Cozumel and have never experienced a "downdraft current..."

Don't confuse inexperience with buoyancy with misinformation of down currents.

Down currents do exist. Last trip 2 divers not that far from me got pulled down 40 feet quite suddenly while diving the northern end. Didn't catch me but they were very experienced & worked their way out of it. As for a GREAT shallow dive Colombia Shallows is my favorite.

I wasn't aware of any other shipwrecks in Cozumel besides the C-53?

Two intentially sunk both just north of downtown. One called possibly Laguna de Mandinga. Decommissioned military vessel. The other looks like a fishing boat.

Across from the military airstrip, before all the hotels start. It's also where they 'transplanted' the reef they ripped up in the creation of the Mayan cruise ship dock. There's a garbage barge on a mooring ball 200ft north of the first wreck that's a good navigation point. The wrecks are in line with the row of uprooted coral blocks between them. Perhaps 500ft distance. Currents can be unpredictable in that area as they normally run south in a giant back eddy and can sometimes try to sweep you out. The small freshwater cenote outflow near shore makes for an interesting site too with fish feeding in the small pool of crystal clear waters at the beginning of the dive. The middle section is some huge concrete blocks half way and the rest low seagrass.

Unrestricted access from shore at playa las casitas or through the restaurant cafe del mar. Not Casa del mar south of town. This is a restaurant just north of downtown. Nice place to watch a sunset and have a dip too. Not Caribbean sand but still easy entry most days.

Please no one die as a result of trying this dive, it's a favorite of mine for free diving and I'd hate to see restrictions put on the site.

I'll look for a photo I took of the wreck.

Mandatory caution: There is heavy and unpredictable boat traffic in Cozumel waters and I believe shore diving to be done safely must be treated as an overhead environment as surfacing can be dangerous to our health. Don't count on a dive flag to protect you. Please have the equipment and training to safely return to shore in case of trouble, not counting on being able to immediately surface.

Regards,
Cameron

P. S. There are also rarely dove historic shipwrecks on the wild east side of the island but I've not personally dove them. (Cannons and old timbers from a couple guys I met etc). They are listed on some dive site maps but need a special calm day with unusual winds to be accessible.

Last edited:
I've got 2000+ dives over the last 28 years and over 250 dives in Cozumel and have never experienced a "downdraft current..."

Don't confuse inexperience with buoyancy with misinformation of down currents.

I'm not confused about buoyancy. But certainly I didn't give enough information about my brother's experience to qualify it one way or another. He was swept over the wall by the current. He mentioned ocean floor debris and lots of sand was going over the wall like a waterfall. He'd never seen anything like that in his 35 years of diving and freediving. He also had never seen his exhaust bubbles go down. Inflating his BC didn't stop him from being pulled down. What did arrest his descent was swimming away from the wall. He said it was like swimming out of a waterfall. I have been in very strong currents but never a strong down current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom