Good shallow dive on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly think I could spend a week's worth of dives poking around on Columbia Shallows, peeking in all the nooks and crannies. Even at 80-90 minutes a dive there, I always feel like I missed something. On a sunny day, the light on the coral is just stunning.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for your rave reviews on Cozumel shallow dives. Great idea on doing Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens on one dive trip. I also really appreciate the information shared on down currents which was extremely informative. Can't wait to be back in Cozumel!

There are those who may poo-poo Columbia Shallows...
I believe that you may have meant to say "pooh-pooh"; poo-poo is... something else. :D

But anyway, I don't know of anyone who has been diving at Colombia Shallows who has anything at all negative to say about it. What's not to like?

Punta Tuniche, La Francesca, Yucab, Tormentos, and the tops of most of the wall dives are all around 50 feet and are pretty easy and beautiful dives. I have about 200 or so dives in Coz, and I've only seen a few down currents. They didn't come out of nowhere-on the weeks those happened the currents were really ripping. Also, most, but not all, were on the northern sites that most people don't go to.

IMO Columbia Shallows is #1, but Palancar Gardens is not too far behind. But again IMO Paradise is usually covered by bargain basement dive ops…no gas burn, little payroll.

Dave
I haven't dove Paradise frequently but I've seen some great critters there and it was quiet with no other dive groups around. We saw two spotted eagle rays that were hanging out. A very friendly nurse shark and some eels. Maybe we were just lucky but it left a good impression on me.

Columbia Shallows is by far, the best shallow dive on Coz., I call it an "aquarium dive" but it is a boat dive.

Cedral Wall & Santa Rosa Wall both have shallower sections for wall diving. In fact, you can pretty much go shallow on most dives if you want. I've many times stayed at 65' on wall dives when everyone else is at 80'+. As long as you let your DM know and stay with in eyesight of him/her.

San Clemente, Yucab, Francessa & Dalila are 4 of my favorite second boat dives.

There is a nice shore dive at Blue Angel around the Stingray enclosure next door and just beyond.

you can also do the entire drift from Blue Angel South (Hotel Villablanca area) up to Blue Angel Resort.

Also, if you can find a place to get in, going from say, Ernesto's Fajita Factory or just before that, drifting/moving north, is a VERY cool dive. Sort of a hidden secret, if you will. We did it a couple/few years ago, I just can't remember where exactly we entered, but we ended getting out near the Papa Hogs/Villablanca area (this was before Turquoise and Blue Angel South were there)

I've also heard that if you set it up, there is a DM at Playa Corona that will take you out on a shore dive off of there, that is very nice, but haven't personally done it.

I just posted some of my videos from last week. All I did was SHALLOW. Got in 7 dives, 3 shore dives at SCC, the other 4 were boat....Paradise, Chankanaab, Columbia Shallows, and Yocab. Loved them all, but probably Yocab was my favorite...it is a sponge heaven.

I just don't enjoy deeper dives as much anymore. I had 2 eye surgeries on my right eye a few years ago, to correct a problem but the eye just isn't back 100%. Dark is just dark to my right eye now, can't see any detail at all without decent light. My left eye is fine, but will get tired from the strain of double duty trying to focus. So I just prefer the shallow dives where I don't get the headaches afterwards. Plus shallower means better bottom time and video, more fish, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
robin

I had 2 eye surgeries on my right eye a few years ago, to correct a problem

Isn't that why all surgeries are done?

Back
Top Bottom