Diving Recommendation End December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widarecu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My wife and I are trying to book our xmas diving holiday, we are looking for something between 8 to 10 days in a world-class dive spot, last 2 years haven't been the greatest in terms of quality diving (Maldives north-far atolls and Similan Islands, sadly reefs are highly damaged by global warming) so we really want to make sure to compensate this year.

I do underwater photography so a place with loads of macro and wide-angle opportunities is my preference, my wife loves nice healthy reefs as well as the chance to see big stuff (mantas and whale sharks her favourite ones).

In terms of diving operation we prefer a well stablished and experienced operator (3 to 4 dives a day) as well as a good level of confort in terms of accomodation (my wife looooooved ScubaSpa in the Maldives a couple of years back).

What would you recommend guys? We were thinking on the below options:

1. Phillipines: we have never been there so not sure if it is an option for the level of expectations we currently have, how would you rate marine life and diving quality compared to Raja Ampat?
  2. I was in Komodo around 4 years ago and so far nothing has topped my diving experience there, I wouldn't mind repeating but I think end-december is not the right season ... or am I wrong? Any high quality liveaboard you'd recommend?
  3. We did Raja Ampat 2 years ago and we had a disastrous experience with a ****** liveaboard (Euphoria, wouldn't recommend it to anyone), would you say is better to repeat Raja Ampat with a good operator instead of Philipines?
  4. Any other "secret gem" that we may not be considering and worth to explore instead of any of the three options above?
Thanks in advance for your recommendations and comments :)

1- Xmas holidays are maybe not the best time to travel the Phils. Other than that, personally I don't find it can match the best of Indonesia.
2- Komodo is great, Raja Ampat is better, I rate Alor better than Komodo too. However, this is not the period to go, it's one month too late in the year.
3- Go back!!! No one can pretend R4 is disappointing, so much better than the Phils, even though I love diving the Phils for macro.
4- Triton bay (from what I heard from a photographer friend)

No Brainer go back to Raja... might be hard getting a booking this late.

Second choice Komodo yes December isn't high season but there are still LOB'S there. Good thing about not being high season is less divers in the water.

The PI has some great macro but its coral and fish don't come close to RA or Komodo.

We were extremely fortunate to be able to dive Raja Ampat last November with Amira live-aboard for 11 days (plus 9 nights land-based diving on Bunaken), and the diving was incredible especially south around Misool. It was my favourite dive location ever, and with fun travel companions, boat crew and great food. For what it's worth, others on our trip also liked live-aboards with Seven Seas and going anywhere with Aggressor. Those boats are on our wish list.

I'd go back in a blink to Misool (eg: life changing moment with huge manta rays)...there is Misool Resort that owns the rights to the waters in this area, which I know nothing about but if you wanted to park yourself somewhere ... and had $$$....it could be paradise for diving: Home

Back
Top Bottom