The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our sky is definitely a different color down here in LA. It's sad to hear how bad this thing is, and how many people are affected. I wish the best for Eric and everyone else that has to deal.

It feels awkward changing the subject, but...

Are people putting their wings on top of the 'tank adapter' - like between the tank and the metal rails? I started out using the tank adaptor to pin the wing to the plate, but as I think about it, the intent of a bolted system is to use pressure and friction to hold pieces together, not to use bolts in sheer. Obviously the 5/16" bolts are strong enough, but it just doesn't seem ideal. I'm an engineer so I overthink crap like this all the time.

Thoughts/experiences?

Here's the Sub-Gravity Paragon 30 LITE wing. It looks identical to the DIR Zone wings (same material, same inflator, same configuration, etc). The Lite was sent by accident, now I have to choose which to keep.

*The pic of the STA was taken before I tightened it down, AND ITS ON BACKWARDS! so the nuts are not fully seated. The bolts are just long enough that everything works - they come fully to the opposite side of the nuts w/o sticking out. I'm such a NEWB! :)

The slots don't really line up between the plate and wing. I can use the bottom one (it's tight), and the top one I just loop around the STA. Ultimately I'd like to add ~1" to the top slots on the wing as I like having the cam bands clamp everything together.

Also note: I got the wing the night before class so I didn't have time to rig everything properly - but everything went together and it fit right, and I've been having an amazing time with this rig. I'm freaking thrilled I was able to score a Freedom Plate and absolutely love it.

Attachments

• Wing.JPG
    Wing.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Measure.JPG
    Measure.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 126
  • STA.JPG
    STA.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Freedom.JPG
    Freedom.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Are people putting their wings on top of the 'tank adapter' - like between the tank and the metal rails? I started out using the tank adaptor to pin the wing to the plate, but as I think about it, the intent of a bolted system is to use pressure and friction to hold pieces together, not to use bolts in sheer. Obviously the 5/16" bolts are strong enough, but it just doesn't seem ideal. I'm an engineer so I overthink crap like this all the time.

Thoughts/experiences?

I think the load in relation to the capability of the joint is so small as to make no difference either way. The way I see it, the bolts will primarily load up in tension no matter how you bolt it. I think plate - wing - rails is ideal as it "stabilizes" the wing and allows for a solid tank to plate attachment.

You're probably right, and it seems people have been doing it this way for years with 'normal' STAs. But it just bugs me that the load is going only though the little grommets in the wing, and otherwise clamping steel to fabric, as opposed to steel to steel.

I've spent too much time and energy designing bolted joints at work - I've sat through design reviews, arguments, specification writing, etc. so it's hard for me to ignore it. But again, the joint is probably strong enough either way. I'd rather have the wing sandwiched in there, too :)

Not to mention anything about loading up the bolt threads (I assume no shank is going through the grommet).

Treat the wing/grommet as a non structural shim and worry about fastener bending instead lol.

Are people putting their wings on top of the 'tank adapter' - like between the tank and the metal rails?
<---This is the arrainment Eric suggested when I bought my FP. However, I don't use the FP rails because my wing has built in roll control tubes.

Last edited:
............................................................................................................................................................
Prayers for all out there having to deal with the fires.
............................................................................................................................................................

Couv

<---This is the arrainment Eric suggested when I bought my FP. However, I don't use the FP rails because my wing has built in roll control tubes.

It might make more sense:

- If traditionally the wing goes tight to the tank, and...
- if the new tank adapter is used to acc Mmidate for the curve in the plate and keep the tank in a traditional position WRT the diver,

then wing under tank would be the closest to traditional in terms of buoyancy and body position.

I like the safety factor of the tank strap going through the plate - if I can still do that I'll bolt the STA directly to the plate.

Of course I've only been scuba diving for a day and a half, so my thoughts are only worth what you paid for them :)

What type Wing? I have Hog 32# that has two tubes, I was going to remove tubes, and Sandwich wing between Freedom Plate and the stainless steel bars. I have heard of pinch flats if the wing is not protected from tank sufficiently, so I wonder if your wing has this concern?

If you put the tank straps through the plate (versus only around the STA rails) then those bolts will not be what is holding the wing during actual use.

I put my wing in between. It has stabilizer bars. I tightened the nuts down on the STA bolts and short sections of the stabilizer bars were crushed. Works fine. And there is still plenty of stabilizer bar left to work fine if I ever put the wing back on a normal plate.

I posted pictures on p.24 of this thread.

Wings with tank strap slots that are only just the width of a standard cam band are stupid. That allows for no positioning of the wing up or down unless the BP happens to have extra wide slots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom