OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I dove yesterday with the 36 inch hose on the regulator. Big difference. No pulling or tugging with any head movement. I did not end up using a swivel.
On another note, OTS really needs to get the surface breathing valve done for this mask, I went through a lot of air while on the surface between dives during my dive team training.

On another note, OTS really needs to get the surface breathing valve done for this mask

Here is a primitive DIY option but the concept works. You can make a snorkel out of PVC pipe. Install a 1" slip ball valve and a shut-off valve on your regulator hose or it will freeflow (when you are face-down and the snorkel is open).

https://www.amazon.com/1207-Inline-...55&sr=8-5&keywords=pvc+ball+valve+2+inch&th=1

Inline Shut-Off Valves | Dive Gear Express®

These valves are very stiff to turn and will take two hands. There is another option that is smaller but requires a small lathe. Take a 1" PVC cap and machine it to easily to slip-fit into the pipe. Then machine an O-ring groove into the cap or pipe. Put the cap on a small lanyard or bungee so it isn't lost when using the snorkel. The friction on the O-ring will hold it in place but you can also use the bungee to help keep in in place.

I used a snorkel made from 3/4" copper plumbing parts in the 1960s on a couple of different FFMs. The cap just had a rubber gasket in it and was "secured" with what looked like two strips of an inner tube. Primitive but worked.

Water that splashes into the open snorkel will just go out the regulator exhaust. I would consider installing a one-way mushroom valve at the top of the snorkel so all exhalations (and water) goes out through the regulator.

You could also DIY an adapter to use a conventional SBV with some imagination and a lathe, but you would have to do surface swims on your back.

Just ordered an OTS Spectrum. Will try it in our local pool to see how it feels. I also considered an Ocean Reef G.Diver (local shop had 2 used with coms for $500 a piece) but it was suggested that our Atomic B2 regulator with the Spectrum would breath better than the Ocean Reef. Wife and I have an upcoming trip to Bonaire in November, so looking forward to trying these out. Suppose I'll need to take a FFM specialty course, although I tend to spend time in the pool practicing skills either way. Other than donning backup mask and accessing secondary air supply (practice, practice, practice) is there anything else the FFM specialty would be required for?

Just ordered an OTS Spectrum. Will try it in our local pool to see how it feels. I also considered an Ocean Reef G.Diver (local shop had 2 used with coms for $500 a piece) but it was suggested that our Atomic B2 regulator with the Spectrum would breath better than the Ocean Reef. Wife and I have an upcoming trip to Bonaire in November, so looking forward to trying these out. Suppose I'll need to take a FFM specialty course, although I tend to spend time in the pool practicing skills either way. Other than donning backup mask and accessing secondary air supply (practice, practice, practice) is there anything else the FFM specialty would be required for?

I would suggest to add to the FFM a quick-disconnect and a swivel.
The swivel would reduce mask bending, and quick-disconnect will allow you to separate the mask from the BCD+Tank+reg when not in use.
There are two QD models. I would suggest the model with lock. This is a QD with a lock that avoid accidental disconnection.
Visit Piranhadiving mfg. They have the accessories.

I would suggest to add to the FFM a quick-disconnect and a swivel.
The swivel would reduce mask bending, and quick-disconnect will allow you to separate the mask from the BCD+Tank+reg when not in use.
There are two QD models. I would suggest the model with lock. This is a QD with a lock that avoid accidental disconnection.
Visit Piranhadiving mfg. They have the accessories.

Thanks for the suggestions. My B2 reg has a swivel already (30 degrees), but not sure that would help?. I like the idea of the quick release, especially with the locking mechanism. Assuming also if both my buddy has the QD would allow for sharing air.... although we'd need QD's on our secondary sources then as well I suppose. Actually, in the case of an out of air situation, I'd think one would be more likely to remove the mask altogether to access buddy octo.

Thanks for the suggestions. My B2 reg has a swivel already (30 degrees), but not sure that would help?. I like the idea of the quick release, especially with the locking mechanism. Assuming also if both my buddy has the QD would allow for sharing air.... although we'd need QD's on our secondary sources then as well I suppose. Actually, in the case of an out of air situation, I'd think one would be more likely to remove the mask altogether to access buddy octo.

When diving with a FFM, you should carry a backup mask to be used with the octo.
If you are in an OOA situation with your FFM, to breath with your buddy's octo you need to remove your FFM and don the normal mask.

Dove with the Spectrum today in the pool. Really enjoyed it, so did my wife. Although my bailout practice/procedures didn't go very good. Just couldn't get comfortable with removal and switching to octo and donning backup mask. Never had issues with removing and donning/clearing normal mask and using octo before. Was surprisingly stressful for some reason losing air and mask at the same time. But on my upcoming trip I plan on doing mostly shallow shore dives. So will get some more practice in.

Just couldn't get comfortable with removal and switching to octo and donning backup mask.
It's a different sensation than removing a standard scuba mask and regulator as individual skills. I remember the first few times doffing and donning a FFM and backup mask were quite interesting. The more you practice the more comfortable you will get. Stay safe.

It's a different sensation than removing a standard scuba mask and regulator as individual skills. I remember the first few times doffing and donning a FFM and backup mask were quite interesting. The more you practice the more comfortable you will get. Stay safe.

Agreed, repetition is your friend when it comes to developing reflexive skills. That same reflex will help you get through all kinds of unexpected problems underwater. That is one of the many reasons the military still uses pool harassment dives.

You are already practicing FFM Mask Removal and alternate air share with buddy’s alternate and donning of regular mask . The PADI course also includes FFM removal and replacement/clear. This is one that should be practiced initially in the shallow section of the pool until you get the clearing down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom