Canon 70D - Triggering Fiber Optics with Nauticam Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@sunnyboy
I just tested TTL top side and it works. I don't see why it would be any different during a dive.
To do this, both camera and strobes were set to auto. Selected an area of low light, took the shot with strobes off and it came out underexposed. Powered up strobes and it turned out properly exposed.
I'm using INON Z240s. I think you said you have Ikelite. I'm not sure if Ikelite supports TTL through fiber optic. I've moved away from Ikelite some time ago, so can't test or properly answer for sure.

Cheers,
Ricardo

The Ikelite DS125 (and DS51 I also have) have a wired bulkhead, so only work with wired cords. To get TTL you have to have a connector that supports all 5 pins (fire & quench primarily). My Ikelite G16 TTL housing has the control board to do this, but the Nauticam does not.

I do have an Ikelite optical trigger that I got used. It allows you to control any Ikelite strobe by screwing it into the strobe bulkhead. It will fire the strobe on any optical signal, so is mainly used for remote triggering (back-light, etc.). It does have a plastic fitting to couple to an optical cable, but I don't know if it supports TTL - I suspect not as it's pretty old tech. I'd also have to get an optical cable as I don't have that either.

My best option is to eventually go fully optical with cables and something like your Inons. Those are pretty awesome strobes anyway, so a good way to go in the future.

Cheers,
-Richard

I recall having bought some fiber optic plugs made by ikelite. These plugs worked well; however, they don't... or did not at the time offer TTL.

Fiber Optic Converter for DS Strobes

I've not used ikelite for a while now, so I'm not sure I'm up to speed with their offerings.

As far as port, yes.... these are expensive, but they are well built and withstand intense use.

What are you shooting? Wide or macro? What lenses are you looking to dive with?

Ricardo

I recall having bought some fiber optic plugs made by ikelite. These plugs worked well; however, they don't... or did not at the time offer TTL.

Fiber Optic Converter for DS Strobes

I've not used ikelite for a while now, so I'm not sure I'm up to speed with their offerings.

As far as port, yes.... these are expensive, but they are well built and withstand intense use.

What are you shooting? Wide or macro? What lenses are you looking to dive with?

Ricardo

Actually, it's a bit funny. I bought the housing used with the 7D and a 60mm macro lens (actually the whole deal with strobes and arms and a focus light). The housing has "THE WRONG PORT" (according to Nauticam) but it works perfectly.

Our waters here off Vancouver Island are pretty low visibility much of the year, so macro is the most successful way to take photos. Besides, I've always loved macro photography, even on land.

Cheers,
-R

Richard,
Macro is my favorite too. You don't need a lot of strobe power for that either.
The Canon 60mm macro is a fantastic lens. Also one of my favorites. I use it 80% of the time. The port I have for it is called N120-Macro Port 41.

I set up a red focusing light right atop the port and it's good to go. I like the SOLA600. To manage its stamina, I tend to power down the focusing light when not in use. This works very well for me, and resolves prior hunting focus problems of early years into this hobby.

Ricardo

Mine came with a big blue light that's huge (8xAA cells) but does work OK (it's big enough to mount a go-pro on the light!). The Nauticam outfit came with two DS125 strobes, arms, floats and cables as well. It's a great camera and housing, and does macro really well with the 60mm lens. I'd have to look at it to see which port. It does not have the vacuum stuff, only the stock leak sensor.

My other rig is G16 /Ikelite TTL housing with a DS51 on one arm and a Sola1200 on the other as video/focus light. I like this rig as it's more compact and I can carry it on any dive, unlike the big Nauticam rig.

Thanks for the great responses!!!

I've got a Nauticam housing for my current set-up (G15), and I love my fiber-optic cables (Inon Strobes). TTL doesn't work in manual made for that camera, and AV/TV modes are hobbled by Canon software. As a result, I have a working knowledge of TTL, but more experience shooting camera, and strobes, both in manual.

I'm moving up to SLR, and wanted to stick with Nauticam, and fiber optics. I was REALLY hoping I wasn't going to have to spend $500 for the trigger module, and I'm very happy to see that I won't! Also happy to see there is an onboard flash for the 70D. I don't know how I missed that in my research.

Thanks again, so much for the responses!

Nauticam is a solid choice. It's also a plus that you have confidence operating it in manual settings. The only suggestion I would reiterate here is setting the built in camera flash mode to manual, then adjust power output all the way down to 1/128th of a full flash. This way, your Inons are limiting your ability to rapid fire, not your camera.... and you know how fast that 70D can be. The Inon's won't be able to keep up, but if you have a full set of batteries loaded and you encounter a need to rapid fire 3 shots in succession, your likely going to get them. If the 70Ds internal built in flash is set to normal, you won't because the camera needs some time to recycle and juice up the built in flash.
Enjoy!
Ricardo

While TTL works fine with FO cables, it takes a toll on the battery. Learn to shoot manual and you will be a lot happier in my view.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom