New Zealand in June: Worth it for diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just scored a work trip to New Zealand! It's in the middle of June in Hamilton. Yes, I know it'll be a bit chilly, but I currently dive New England (highs of 58 Farenheit, 14.8 Celsius).

Can anyone tell me about diving in New Zealand in June? Ideas? Thoughts?

Should I not bother and head over to GBR? Looks like the flight isn't that far?

Hi,

Been diving NZ for 25 years and loving winter diving in June. Surface temperatures depend on location but likely to be around 14 C. A drysuit or 7mm wetsuit recommended.

The viz is better in the winter because there is not as much biomass floating around in the water (including tourists)!

My experience has been in the North island. Hamilton isn't real near the ocean so a bit of a drive for you.

The NZ diving I've done has been at Poor Knights and the Bay of Islands, both a couple/few hours drive north from Auckland, and both in mid-winter. I suggest making a three-day weekend of it, and staying in Tutukaka (Poor Knights) or with Northland Dive (Bay of Islands). The diving is excellent! A drysuit is ideal, but you want to be comfortable in one before you go. That area gets "warm" (not that warm) currents from the tropics and really colourful and interesting marine life. Also a couple of Navy frigates scuttled in 30-35m (~100-120ft). There's more in NZ but I can't speak from experience.
The GBR is also great. But probably not as close as you think. You're two, more likely three, flights away from Cairns. From there you can get a liveaboard. If you're looking for day trips, head further north to Port Douglas and get in touch with Calypso.
If you're comfortable with cool water, make the most of NZ while you're there. Global Dive in Auckland is a great dive shop, but I'm sure there are others closer to Hamilton.

Hamilton = inland = not diving destination. However, you should easily be able to get up to Whangarei / Tutukaka for a weekend and if you're comfortable with cold water diving then you won't go wrong with the Poor Knights. Can recommend Global Dive (an auckland dive shop who run trips, check out their website), Yukon Dive from Tutukaka (Poor Knights) and Northland Dive.

Also,

Dive Tututuka (www.diving.co.nz) is the largest operator in Tutukaka for diving the Poor Knights Islands. Seven boats from small to huge.

They also have wreck dive excursions to the Waikato war ship. 120M long, 3 decks deep. OW cert OK for that dive.

Northland Dive offers the Canterbury warship (sistership to the Waikato) but AOW required because of the depth.

Thanks for your thoughts!! Sounds like it'll be cold, but amazing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom