Dm5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, well this is the wife's computer (Vyper air). She likes the computer though she acknowledges some of it's flaws (too conservative, and the transmitter connection is not reliable-she carries a regular pressure gauge and a backup computer). But.....a computer on the wrist, is the devil you know. Did I say it's too conservative? If it dies she won't go down that road again. But, it mostly works, most of the time, so she's content to deal with it. I deal with the fall out and vent on Scuba Board. :wink: :banghead:

I'm looking into going back to DM4 or maybe even DM3.1. Just don't want to lose the current data. Hard to even find downloads of them. Most of the links go back to Suunto and the non-supportive asses only have DM5. What is wrong with those people? Do they have a bunch of useless toadies in software development? If they had ANY sense at all they'd go all the way back to DM3.1 and start over.

Hmmm, I had the Vyper Air wrist prior to my current computer. I never had any connection problems with the transmitter and am still using the same one with the Vyper Novo I now have. The only reason I even have the Novo is because the Vyper Air went bonkers after I'd had it a year and it was replaced under warranty. And honestly, I'm not so sure that the DM5 didn't cause the problem.

As for the DM5, I think you should be able to export your dive files from DM5 and import them into Subsurface. I think you would like Subsurface so much better than DM5. It's free so what do you have to lose by trying it?

Tried Subsurface, she didn't like it......sigh. But it does work.
The problem isn't function related ALL the time, just SOME of the time. Mostly it works, but occasionally won't connect to the transmitter. Mostly it downloads, but occasionally will not. On single dives the conservative leaning is OK. Take it on a multi-dive, multi-day trip and the conservative tendency starts to accumulate and occasionally becomes a problem.

DM5 vs DM4 vs. DM3 - Troubleshooting and things to think about BEFORE installing. :stirpot:

With DM5 refusing to download my wife's Vyper Air (Yes, Subsurface worked fine but she is not hot to use it having become accustomed to DM5). I have a copy of DM4.1 on a laptop I installed over a year ago and it did work.
So....I set up a fresh test PC with Win10, installed DM5 and tried the download > It did not work!.
(Note-You DO NOT get a complete download of DM5. You get a downloader [setup] program that goes out and collects and installs various components.) o_O This actually is not uncommon, but it can present it's own host of problems.

There are specific instructions with the download of the copy of DM4 I got to remove the DM5 folder, then install particular Windows files that come with the [zip program] as follows.
[dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, gtk-sharp-2.12.26.msi, MicrosoftVisualC++2010_vcredist_x86.exe, suuntousbftdi20828.exe]
Reboot, then install [SuuntoDM4.application]
I 'think' the setup program should be pointing at another folder in the main [unzipped] folder. But....it didn't work! :poke::facepalm:
This screws EVERYTHING up. :shocked::rant:
Don't do it!!!! After uninstalling the lot, I can't even install DM5 anymore. I get errors of missing dll's, files, etc. NOT GOOD. :rant: :rant:

If you go out to try to find the ACTUAL DM4 program all you get is links back to Suunto and DM5, along with a lot of people bitching about DM4. Apparently the [Movescount] cloud service was NOT well received back then, nor was DM4. Hmmm.

If you go out to find DM3, the only copy I could find had a trojan or 'something' (PUP most likely). I even tried the [Torrent Files]. Having screwed up my Win10 copy I wasn't hot to try it.

Suunto has put out DM5 and pretty much stomped on any attempt to go back to something that even works.
Very thoughtful of them. :banghead: :dork2: :dork2::dork2::facepalm:

The ONLY saving bit of all this is I went back though this thread and found Post #5 by Hendrik@Suunto, followed the instructions to REPLACE THE USB DRIVER, and now it works, works slowly.....but works. :yeahbaby:
If the DM5 USB driver was JUNK, why do they use it anyway? :facepalm: :rolleyes: Why don't they fix it!!!

FWIW the infrared on my Aladin can download the entire computer before the HARD WIRED Suunto can even connect. It takes ~ 3 minutes to download 1, I repeat 1 dive. :confused:

Hensrik@Suunto has not been heard from since Feb.1, 2016. THERE IS NO SUPPORT. :poke: :gas:

JUST USE SUBSURFACE.

Last edited:
I 've been a long fan of suunto dive computers. I started back on the original Eon, then Cobra & now D9. However the software was a bust with DM5 & Movescount. I switched to Subsurface right after DM5 would not install on my windows 7, 64 desk top computer, several years ago. I have not looked back.

Can Suunto make DM4 available again? It worked great before. DM5 not connecting on Win7Pro.

After following driver delete and movescount install instructions.
Also tried with no luck on my laptop, Win10 Home after following modified install instructions posted here.

Would love to get DM4 back.

Subsurface, you say?

Last edited:
Yes, Subsurface. As much as I like my Suunto Vyper Novo, I abhor the DM5 and Movescount software. Subsurface is simple, easy, and it works.

Subsurface can't find my Zoop Novo. I've looked for a software switch to put Zoop in PC connect mode, but can't find anything. It used to connect and download automatically to DM4 without any switches. Any ideas?

Subsurface can't find my Zoop Novo. I've looked for a software switch to put Zoop in PC connect mode, but can't find anything. It used to connect and download automatically to DM4 without any switches. Any ideas?
I've occasionally had a problem with Subsurface recognizing my Suunto computer. Usually, I would change the com port and it would eventually find it. Sometimes, I would have to change it to a port other than the default and then go back to it before it would find it. But that was with the Vyper Air and the older style connection table. I now have the Vyper Novo with the newer type cable, which is what I presume you have, and have not had a problem with it connecting.

But, again, I would suggest try changing the com port and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom