YAP & PALAU - UNITED GIVETH & UNITED TAKETH AWAY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

United has changed my Dec 22, 2017 to Jan1, 2018 flight itinerary from Houston to Palau about 4 times now. I just checked my flight reservation today after reading this thread & noticed another change without email acknowledgement that my transit time in LA drops from 65 to 40 minutes. I called UA agent. Now I ended up skipping LA & would fly directly from Houston to Honolulu. :D

Last edited:
That really is a shame. Did the combo twice, 2004 ish and 2015. First time we spent the typical 3 or 4 days in yap pre-Palau. Second time we made it a full week after Palau. I enjoyed the overall diving in Palau more, but I really like the laid back atmosphere in Yap. The people are really friendly and the land based opp gives you more of an opportunity for interaction. Plus it's just more of a vacation than a Palau L/A. If I had to choose Yap or Palau land based, Yap wins for me.

Did several outside sites, Yap Caverns is really world class but we didn't see many other dive sites of that caliber (a relatively recent typhoon still affecting the reefs). Of course the mandarinfish and macro dive 1:2 inside the lagoon. ion 2004 the manta dive was 65 ish feet and we were moderately successful. Since then Yap Divers discovered Stammtisch in 15 -20 feet and we were insanely successful, 1:45 dive with mantas the entire time.

And can't beat the Stone Money Brew on the top deck of the Mnuw.

Sadly this will just hurt Yap's economy and, I'm afraid force them to look to Chinese investment money to survive. This was already happening, but this will just hasten the issue

An update on my earlier post....

Summary of the previous: I had encountered this thread only about a week or so after booking all flights with United and sending in deposits on all lodging and diving. We called United and found that our flight from Yap to Palau had indeed been canceled. They apologized for the fact that we were never notified. (In fact, the flight was probably already non-existent when we booked it.) When we called, they told us to hold off canceling things for a while, because the route might be reinstated.

Update: We are traveling with another couple, and when they learned about this from us, they also called. They, however, were given a different prognosis--there is no possibility that the route will be reinstated. Go ahead and cancel all your plans.

We had done a lot of planning for this--many, many hours, not using any agents. We had considered a number of alternatives, but rejected each for various reasons. We are back to square one now. We are scrapping everything and looking for a nice two week trip somewhere in the south Pacific, possibly the Solomon Islands. We are all entering a busy time for all of us, so we will probably just tell a dive travel agent roughly what we want and take what we can get.

We are scrapping everything and looking for a nice two week trip somewhere in the south Pacific, possibly the Solomon Islands. We are all entering a busy time for all of us, so we will probably just tell a dive travel agent roughly what we want and take what we can get.
Another option, John, would be to do Yap for a week and then go to Truk/Chuuk for a week. You'd leave Yap on the 1:35AM flight but to Guam (only way out of Yap) but the flight down to Truk/Chuuk is a morning (8:20AM) flight so the layover's not too bad, and you're in the new place a little after 10AM. This flight combo runs on both Sundays and Wednesdays.

- Ken

Another option, John, would be to do Yap for a week and then go to Truk/Chuuk for a week. You'd leave Yap on the 1:35AM flight but to Guam (only way out of Yap) but the flight down to Truk/Chuuk is a morning (8:20AM) flight so the layover's not too bad, and you're in the new place a little after 10AM. This flight combo runs on both Sundays and Wednesdays.

- Ken
Unfortunately for that plan, my wife is a non-diver but avid snorkeler. We always pick a site that has something for her.

I'd like to add that in the future, if you are going to Palau, try China Airlines. We flew from LAX to Taipei, had a layover of about 6-7 hours, and then non-stop to Palau arriving around 6:00pm there. I would fly them again in a heartbeat. We booked the Premium Economy Class. Very nice sized seats that were comfortable and the food was decent for airline food. But here is the real sweet part of the trip. The second flight from Taipei to Palau doesn't offer Premium Economy so if you book early enough, they upgrade you to First/Business class for the second flight which is about 4 hours. On top of that, if you get the upgrade, then when you have the layover in Taipei, you have access to their First/Business Class lounge with showers, nice sofas and chairs, wi-fi, and all the food and drinks you could ask for.

An update on my earlier post....

Summary of the previous: I had encountered this thread only about a week or so after booking all flights with United and sending in deposits on all lodging and diving. We called United and found that our flight from Yap to Palau had indeed been canceled. They apologized for the fact that we were never notified. (In fact, the flight was probably already non-existent when we booked it.) When we called, they told us to hold off canceling things for a while, because the route might be reinstated.

Update: We are traveling with another couple, and when they learned about this from us, they also called. They, however, were given a different prognosis--there is no possibility that the route will be reinstated. Go ahead and cancel all your plans.

We had done a lot of planning for this--many, many hours, not using any agents. We had considered a number of alternatives, but rejected each for various reasons. We are back to square one now. We are scrapping everything and looking for a nice two week trip somewhere in the south Pacific, possibly the Solomon Islands. We are all entering a busy time for all of us, so we will probably just tell a dive travel agent roughly what we want and take what we can get.

I'm in the process of planning a 3 week trip to the Solomons & Vanuatu for summer 2018. We're flying Fiji Airways via LAX to both locations. Keep us updated....

How about a Speedboat to travel from Palau to Yap ??
Too far (280 miles). Even at 30mph (and that's assuming fairly calm seas), the trip would take 10 hours. And you likely couldn't get enough people regularly to make it profitable.

- Ken

We just heard from a supposed United insider that they are considering reinstating it again.

Back
Top Bottom