What percentage of the World Population should be Divers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the data are correct, then Quebec would have way more divers per capita than the rest of the world. What we need to check is how many PADI certifications are issued / year in Quebec, so we have apple to apple comparison between Quebec & the rest of the world.

In Quebec, people are certified through many different dive agencies: CMAS, ACUC, SSI, NAUI, PADI, etc.

I received my OW through NASDS (remember them ? :) ), and my Advanced through ACUC.

In Quebec, people are certified through many different dive agencies: CMAS, ACUC, SSI, NAUI, PADI, etc.

I received my OW through NASDS (remember them ? :) ), and my Advanced through ACUC.

How do you get the 100,000 of divers in Quebec from? May be the same poller can estimate the total number of divers in the world or at least in some countries (USA, Germany, etc.) the same way for comparison.

How do you get the 100,000 of divers in Quebec from?

The information was on the FQAS website. Unfortunately, the website is now under construction.

NCodeArt

On a recent plane flight to Costa Rica, I was stunned at how almost everyone kept their windows closed so the plane was nice and dark enough for everyone to stay buried face down into their cell phones and other assorted electronic gizmos ! Aircraft designers should go ahead and design/produce window-less aircraft, nobody appeared the least bit interested in looking out the window during take-off, landing, or at any other part of the flight.

I've seen enough airfileds already, the novelty wore off a few dozen airports ago. Now I look out the window because they won't let me look at my matrixgizmo becasue they want it secured for take-off and landing.

Not to hijack the thread but it is related to the topic. Baseline question, how many dives a year makes us a diver? Two or three on vacation, or two or three every other year? Generating a quantifiable number, even if we had dive tracking by individual, would require multiple qualifiers to trim the outliers.

My definition of how many? Enough to make boat charters available at a reasonable price and at a reasonable frequency to facilitate my vacationing. Few enough that the die hards are able to find places of retreat where newbies like my clan and me aren't wrecking all of the solitude and serenity. I'll get back with you on an exact number. :)

In the Province of Quebec, by law, you need to do at least 10 dives in a period of three years to get a certification which permits you to get your cylinders filled by dive stores or schools.

They ask for a copy of the pertinent dive logs.

Being certified Classe A is like OW, Classe B is Advanced, Classe C you can dive to 40 m, and Classe D is the first rung of the dive master-instructor etc. career track.

So, thinking about this, the Quebec Government probably knows exactly who's certification is currently active, how many dives were done, and who's certification has lapsed through disuse.

Last edited:
I've seen enough airfileds already, the novelty wore off a few dozen airports ago. Now I look out the window because they won't let me look at my matrixgizmo becasue they want it secured for take-off and landing.

I kinda like looking out the window, especially during take-off and landings, just to keep an eye on things, to make sure all is appearing normal and according to plan, but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. I don't see the fascination with one's 'matrixgizmo', one can get their lifetime's fix of 'matrixgizmo' during the 99% of the time one is at home or work staring at computers/tablets/cell phones/whatnot and NOT on vacation. At least I don't have to worry about blindly walking in front of a speeding car 'cause I had my face and awareness 100% absorbed into 'matrixgizmo. I think it's hilarious...and also a bit sad, ....to see so many people who have no reason to even exist aside from feeling they need to constantly Facebook/Twitter/e-mail their presence to others, like anyone else could really care less!

I must admit that I don't understand the point of this post at all. Who determines what percentage is right... and why?

I kinda like looking out the window, especially during take-off and landings, just to keep an eye on things, to make sure all is appearing normal and according to plan, but maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

I think I'd rather keep shooting zombies and have the horrible death in a fiery crash come as a complete surprise, should things come to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom