Thinking about buying an RX100 V rig. Any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now found the link that made me question the lens utility of M3 and higher:
Sony RX100 Mark III – Is it worth upgrading?

Seems like pretty bad macro performance, even with diopters. Not image quality but the working distance and magnification.

As far as high-ISO, anyone can visit my original link to PDReview, I think up to ISO 800 at least the models after II all seem almost equal. Nobody really uses ISO over 400 - 800 under water, and then mostly of deep natural light, like wrecks. At that point diving conditions are the limiting factor.

On top of that having to pay for new housings to upgrade is just killer. I use cheap Meikons and can't imagine how some people readily swap cameras every model and then hand Nauticam a blank check to their bank account :)

Meikon's new housing for RX100 series fits all five models. I believe the latest model of Sony's own housing also does that.

Nice to know! I got the M2 housing from them in April, didn't know they had one that fits them all. I guess only difference is thickness of the body due to the screen so they can have multiple sizes of rubber holders.

Whoops, I did not realize that the RX100 housing does not have the back dial control - the A6xxx housing does have it. I guess they simply ran out of room on the back panel, RX100 being so tiny.

On the bottom of the product page, there is a fitting guide for different models - you can see that model I has an entire extra shim for rear buttons, models I, II and III-V have different adapters for top buttons, and models I-II and III-V have different focus/zoom rings.

Yes, Meikon housing for RX series does not have a back dial. Basically in manual mode for RX100, front dial controls aperture setting, and back dial controls shutter speed setting. Without a back dial, setting the shutter speed option is not available. You will be stuck with whatever previous shutter speed setting that you were on. However, there is one way to go around it. You can switching to shutter priority, set your shutter speed, and then back to manual to set your aperture. It stills works but involves a couple more steps to get the shutter speed that you want, and constant switching back and fore.

you could also try fantasea housings, I use one with my Canon G7X MK2

My friend used to take pics with Sony RX100V. But once he tried his girlfriend's camera. And he felt in love with taking pics with it:rolleyes: It was Nikon . The model is COOLPIX AW130 Waterproof. If you hva time, pay attention to this model too:wink:

I use the rx100 mk2 in a nauticam housing and it makes gorgeous images that are great for making decent size prints and takes amazing video

Save some money getting a refurbished mkII and a nice aluminum housing and you’ll take thousands of pictures that are great for the wall or for Facebook and will last you at least a few years before you feel like it needs upgrading

Reactions: YCW
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom