Wobegong sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cod Hole is maybe too far away from Lizard Island and too deep. When I say reef around the islands, I mean fringing reefs. Generally less than 100m from shore and only about 5-7m depth in my experience. Like to sit on big plate corals. Not to say they can't be found further out on the GBR by any means, that's just been my personal experience.

Cod Hole is maybe too far away from Lizard Island and too deep. When I say reef around the islands, I mean fringing reefs. Generally less than 100m from shore and only about 5-7m depth in my experience. Like to sit on big plate corals. Not to say they can't be found further out on the GBR by any means, that's just been my personal experience.

Makes sense. The video I posted earlier, the wobeggong was just underneath Arborek jetty pier, 6m deep. Most of the other wobbegong I've seen have been in the shallow around Raja Ampat islands too.

Last edited:
Shelly Beach in Sydney is pretty much guaranteed to net you multiple opportunities. Yes they are ambush predators. They will just lay there allowing you to get shots. Just make sure you leave them an easy escape so if they get fed up they will just swim away. If they feel trapped they are more likely to be a problem. If you approach slowly (ideally from the side) in increments you are likely to be able to get your camera within inches without bothering them.

I remember a dive years ago I was taking pictures of one under some deck plates of a wrecked ship. All of a sudden it came out like it had been shot out of a cannon. It didn't "go for me" but I was glad I had left it an escape route. After the dive one of the other divers was laughing about the surprised look on my face when he stopped pulling on the sharks's tail and let it go like a slingshot! It is said they are the only shark that can reach around and bite it's own tail. At that point I was really sorry the deck plate hadn't allowed the shark to turn enough to deliver well deserved justice. In spite of that significant aggravation that shark did not attempt to bite me. I suspect if I had not left it that straight free escape route I may have paid the price for the other diver's idea of a practical joke!

Second for Shelly Beach in Manly, I saw a beauty there on Saturday, resting between a couple of rocks. They are normally there every time I dive the site.

Shelly Beach Manly for sure

Attachments

• untitled (1 of 1)-20.jpg
    untitled (1 of 1)-20.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 60
Australian wobbegong sharks certainly have less (baldy looking) tassels and keep their tails straight out than their northern cousin's, which have beardy looking tassels and curled up tails.

C1E72A0C-53F3-4B17-AE6D-CCBA05989B9D.jpeg

Last edited:
There are 12 species of wobbygong - common name from the Aboriginal word for "shaggy beard" - the wobbegongs here in Western Australia are quite different to the Gulf or Ornate Wobby commonly found in QLD PNG & as far south as Sydney. Some have recently been reclassified into sub species so I don't think such a generalisation holds true Dan. I've seen tasseled wobbles at Ningaloo and also a O. Wardi or northern wobbegong baby on the same dive - or was the Wardi I saw an assumed to be a baby actually a O. Reticulatus (Network wobbegong) ???

Really cool family :)

Yes they are everywhere, but sometimes you don't always see them. There is a wreck off Nelson Bay called the Oakland and every time I've dived there I've seen them lying in wreck or on the sea floor around it.

Yes they are everywhere, but sometimes you don't always see them. There is a wreck off Nelson Bay called the Oakland and every time I've dived there I've seen them lying in wreck or on the sea floor around it.

Yup lol - I've been in a crevice looking at two sitting on a ledge and narrowly avoided kicking a third sitting below me - poor shark - lucky guide spotted him and pointed before I assaulted him.

How about Port Jacksons - they're the absolute cutest but dumbest of all our sharks IMO - also common as speeding fines here but I have a soft spot for them.

Yup lol - I've been in a crevice looking at two sitting on a ledge and narrowly avoided kicking a third sitting below me - poor shark - lucky guide spotted him and pointed before I assaulted him.

How about Port Jacksons - they're the absolute cutest but dumbest of all our sharks IMO - also common as speeding fines here but I have a soft spot for them.

They are so cute, one swam into my chest the other day and then sat in my arms for a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom