The Scuba SNobs Guide to Diving Etiquette Book 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just read c12kipp's comments on book one. I get it- our books are not to everyone's taste. There is sarcasm, there is irony, there are good dive tips, there are funny stories. Book 2 is longer, the cover prettier, and bigger print. It summarizes relevant parts of book 1 at the outset of each chapter. So feel free to just read book 2 first. If you like it, then get book 1 and see how this all started.
DivemasterDennis

Have not read the books but personally I found the titles a bit of a turn off. Generally I do not care what snobs of any flavor say be it about wine, movies, art, or diving. I dive the way I want to dive where I want to dive. Things like good manners and consideration of others have nothing to do with snobbishness. Caring about how expensive the equipment is or what names they can throw around does.

Have not read the books but personally I found the titles a bit of a turn off. Generally I do not care what snobs of any flavor say be it about wine, movies, art, or diving. I dive the way I want to dive where I want to dive. Things like good manners and consideration of others have nothing to do with snobbishness. Caring about how expensive the equipment is or what names they can throw around does.

I understand your point re: the title, but I enjoyed the first book. (Haven't read the second yet though it's on my list.) I think it helped me when I was a newbie understand how I could be inadvertently causing problems. I also think that it could help many seasoned albeit clueless divers.

The authors talk about where the name came from in the intro which you can see below or on Amazon. It was coined by their daughter & is a bit tongue in cheek:

scubasnobintro.jpg

a few recent ( and mostly positive reviews from Amazon Canada:

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat book
ByKevin Butterfieldon August 7, 2016
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Great review of diving's unwritten rules, well written and funny. It should be required reading for every diver, both young and old!
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/voting/cas...&voteSessionID=140-2038396-3470301&type=popup
4.0 out of 5 starsPractical guide to not diving like an idiot.
BySean Smithon August 15,
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
New and Seasoned Divers will appreciate this, even if you already are a Scuba Snob, it's good for a laugh!

They are humorous and sarcastic- that's the point. Ok, not to everyone's taste, but at least read them before you offer a critique. I'm just saying...

here's some recent reviews from Amazon Japan-
5つ星のうち5.0Great dive tips presented in a funny way!
Amazonで購入
A fun, lighthearted read. The authors had a way of turning those annoying dive moments into funny ones for me. There were a couple typos that distracted a teeny bit (stuff like "dive sight" and "ettiquette") but that's okay -- the writers are self-proclaimed scuba snobs, not spelling snobs.

As for the lone reviewer that called the book a "rant," that just wasn't true. I suspect some of the scenarios described in the book must have hit just a wee bit too close to home. The book wasn't a rant but a funny way to remind all of us how to be more considerate of each other on those cramped dive boats. I wish this book was included with every scuba class!
2人のお客様がこれが役に立ったと考えています.
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

kevindsingleton
5つ星のうち4.0Fun with scuba diving!
Amazonで購入
Great intro to the "scuba snobs", and their view of the world of scuba diving. Anecdotes that will leave you laughing, but might also give you pause for thought. If you see yourself in one of their stories, you know you need to make some changes in the way you interact with scuba divers, and in the way you handle your scuba diving. Excellent read, and far too short!

I recently read both books and enjoyed both. If you decide to do a third I would definitely read it.

Back
Top Bottom