Best time to visit and dive Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In planning stages for a 2018 trip. Interested in the best time weather wise to visit and dive Fiji. Any recommendations appreciated. I am retired so my schedule is very flexible.

For one reference point, just got back from the Nai'a. It's their Spring so water temps were 78 (5 mm and eventually a hooded vest), more cloudy windy days than sunny especially far east and south.

I would tend to avoid February if I was to do it again. I was there (also on the Nai'a) in February 2007 and it was fairly rough. 2-3 foot waves were the norm and they were often higher, but one night, we actually had to cancel the night dives and find shelter because of a cyclone warning. Below the surface, the currents were not only strong, but they changed direction. We were swept off of E6 because the DM based the drop off point on the current at the surface, but below the surface, it was a totally different direction.

For one reference point, just got back from the Nai'a. It's their Spring so water temps were 78 (5 mm and eventually a hooded vest), more cloudy windy days than sunny especially far east and south.

Thanks for the perspective.I appreciate the reply.

We were at Beqa Lagoon Resort for a week in Oct in 2013. It was coming out of winter down under. Water temp was 75 F. Brrr.

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback.

Just got back four days ago (Oct 7-14) from Fiji (Beqa Lagoon) and the temps were between 75-78. Chilly. I brought my 3mm, but immediately regretted it and traded in for a 5mm at the resort. Was very lucky that they actually had one in my size. Felt comfortable on most dives with that, though.

Topside, the weather was beautiful. Mild, comfortable. A little sprinkling rain on a couple mornings and heavier rain late one night, but not much.

Visibility wasn't fabulous, though. Not sure if that's normal or not, but we never had more than 60' of viz the whole week. Was a little disappointed in that.

<<Visibility wasn't fabulous, though>> I don't think viz is ever much better. Some but never clear. Lots of particulate in the water which is why lots of critters I think.

Back
Top Bottom