CCR - SCR Mode

How much time have you practiced/been trained diving in SCR mode on your CCR?

• 10-30 Minutes

• 31-60 Minutes

• More than 60 minutes

• What is SCR Mode on a CCR?

• I don't know

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
During your CCR training and afterwards how much time did you practice/train diving your CCR in SCR mode?

IMO in the event of electronics failure SCR mode is an invaluable way to extend your dive time while exiting/ascending/ending a dive.

I have been trained on multiple units. Only was taught SCR mode on one but I do teach it. It is a valuable tool to have in the war chest. 15 minutes is usually enough for the student to get the hang of it. Also allow them to change depths and repetition rate while monitoring PO2.

The N is only 11 at this point but the distribution is very bi-modal.

I suspect it may reflect those you had training in SCR mode, and those who had training and actually practice it now and then.

@Capt Tom McCarthy is the only instructor to make me do this. That was in Jules down by you, @Capt Jim Wyatt. I was really impressed with the technique, so I spent two hours in the Ball Room @ Ginnie, going on SCR, plugging into offboard dil until I felt I had it down. I do it for a few minutes every now and then. Once you get the rhythm down, its easy.

Was taught it during two training dives, 15-20 minutes each session. Practised it a dozen hours on my own now and again ... was originally on a homebuild so it's use is engrained in me as a fairly valuable practice.

For interest sake:I have heard the discussion between a couple instructors that adequate bailout makes the practice now unnecessarily dangerous and only a plan C which doesn't need emphasised during training. I silently disagreed.

Regards,
Cameron

For interest sake:I have heard the discussion between a couple instructors that adequate bailout makes the practice now unnecessarily dangerous

If you have a dry scrubber and a normoxic diluent I cannot see what would be dangerous, throughout the depth range from 180 feet to the surface, so long as the O2 bottle is shutdown.

I cannot see what would be dangerous,
It would be dangerous for students to find out their instructor really doesn't know how, why or when to do this. :D :D :D

I only see SCR mode as being dangerous when you get shallower than 15', but by that point you should probably either switch to oxygen CCR mode or bailout to OC. It's a very useful skill to have in your bag of tricks for cave diving.

I have my own poll coming up...

Back
Top Bottom