Best Dive Operators near Westin Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin - so glad to hear you're staying at Coconut Bay! I think we talked about that on a different thread before but I didn't realize you had booked. Enjoy Hepp's Pipeline. We are going more toward the summer months for our next trip so we can get more shore dives in off the property. We only had 2-3 days when the current would cooperate when we were there during the month of January, which is still great for that time of year, but we wanted more!
Thanks howswedeofme. We are looking forward to the trip and yes your info was very helpful. We arrive late morning and I expect to be in the water diving either Hepps or Turtle reef by 1:30. Shore diving only this trip but should get 3-4 per day. Hitting sites we know well - Lighthouse, Turtle Reef and maybe Eden Rock. Hepps I think will be new for us and definitely new as a shore dive. I expect to also hit Macabuca once a day for cracked conch, fresh fish and a cold beer. I'll post a report after the trip

The replies on this thread seem geared toward suggesting alternatives to Red Sail. Is there anything wrong with Red Sail? Are they the most expensive? Are they a cattle-boat operation? Poor service?

We're heading to Grand Cayman (staying at the Westin) next week, and have booked a dive package with Red Sail. The package seemed like a good deal to me (just over $300 each for 3 days of 2-tank dives, plus included sunset sail excursion).

I've done dives with Red Sail on the East End and they were just fine, but their West Bay and 7MB op is a larger operation and they do service the cruise ship passengers. They have several boats and the cruise ship divers are on a special schedule, so they probably keep them separate from their other land-based dive customers, but I don't actually know how they work things out. Even if they take out bigger groups, they have larger boats so it's probably fine. I wouldn't think it would be a cattle boat. Some people just prefer smaller groups and boats - the dive pricing is pretty consistent on GC unless someone is offering a hotel/diving special package.

The West Bay dive ops often keep their boats at the West Bay Marina and they will either pick you up by boat on the beach, or take you to the marina in a van; so it doesn't much matter which of the many reputable dive ops you choose. Everyone has their favorites, why not give Red Sail a try since they are at the Westin and they are throwing in the sunset sail!?

Last edited:
We're heading to Grand Cayman (staying at the Westin) next week, and have booked a dive package with Red Sail. The package seemed like a good deal to me (just over $300 each for 3 days of 2-tank dives, plus included sunset sail excursion).

We'll be there next week as well, and we'll be sipping on our nightly sunset drink as you sail by. We'll wave :)

Sunset sail along SMB

IMG_1020.JPG

I haven't heard that anything is wrong with Red Sail. The dive ops my husband and I like and use are a result of the owners being a friend of a friend or the dive instructors formerly working for one of those ops, and we followed them to their new ops because we like the service they provided. I think KathyV is right that often times people will gravitate toward ops that don't cater to the cruise divers or have smaller boats. I tend to not enjoy large groups underwater because people bop into Tossing in the sunset cruise is a nice perk. We almost did the sunset cruise with Red Sail last time we were on GC but couldn't fit it in. I've heard it's a good time.

We stayed at the Westin last August and dove with Red Sail for nine dives - thoroughly professional bunch - very enjoyable.

Yes the boats carried more people - but they were huge boats with every amenity a diver could want - showers - cold, fresh water - concierge service. Also liked that they didn't put up with any BS from anyone - one dude wanted to dive 'solo' - not allowed - another kid on a jet ski in the wrong area - not allowed... very safety focused and helpful

husband and I took the PPB course and enjoyed it - also hired a 'private' instructor - not cheap but worth it as we hadn't been diving in a bit - they made sure that other divers knew we were paying for our instructor and to leave her alone - much appreciated...

I'd use Red Sail again in a heart beat - and I, also, do not like the 'meat boat' operators

I dive at least once a week with Red Sail and usually another dive each week with one of the other great dive ops on the island. Red Sail is great, and I enjoy diving with them as much as the other dive ops. Yes they take out more people, but their boats are much bigger and actually feel more roomy that some of the smaller boats who take out only a max of 8. They break the divers up into small generally same-skill level groups so the actual dive is not much different. They are very professionally run and give good service. So you will get a great dive op whether it is Red Sail or any of the other fine ops.

For Westin guests, Living the Dream has an office almost across the street and is another great, valet-service dive op to consider.

Nothing wrong with Red Sail, just more people on the boat. Even if the groups are broken apart for the dive, I still like fewer people on the boat.

If you want small groups, Indigo is hard to beat (six divers max) and valet-oriented if that's your style. InDepth Watersports also highly recommended. Dive Tech is great. Bigger groups but a first class operation. Haven't dove with Living the Dream, but have heard only good things.

Anyone operating on the west side will pick you up almost anywhere on the west side. East side is a looong way away if you plan to stay or hangout on the west side. Don't believe the "just 30 minutes" stuff.

Stayed all over but prefer condos to the hotels. We're heading down this Sat. (Coconut Bay condos) just to dive and again later in June with the whole family (Avalon condos).

I expect to also hit Macabuca once a day for cracked conch, fresh fish and a cold beer. I'll post a report after the trip

Don't miss the bar at the Cracked Conch. The bartender is an artist.

I dive at least once a week with Red Sail and usually another dive each week with one of the other great dive ops on the island. Red Sail is great, and I enjoy diving with them as much as the other dive ops. Yes they take out more people, but their boats are much bigger and actually feel more roomy that some of the smaller boats who take out only a max of 8. They break the divers up into small generally same-skill level groups so the actual dive is not much different. They are very professionally run and give good service. So you will get a great dive op whether it is Red Sail or any of the other fine ops.

For Westin guests, Living the Dream has an office almost across the street and is another great, valet-service dive op to consider.

Red Sail sometimes gives you a free Sunset Sailing Excursion if you book your diving with them - not a deal breaker but a nice "extra perk".

Don't miss the bar at the Cracked Conch. The bartender is an artist.
May be too fancy for us. Besides we will likely be hitting Macabuca between or after dives and will be in flip flops, bathing suits and towels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom