Any downside to 40"/40" second stage/octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a SP S55 primary on a 28" black hose, and a SP R395 octo (yellow faceplate) on a 40" yellow hose stowed under my arm and connected to a yellow necklace under my chin. Per PADI training, I plan and brief my buddy to expect me to donate the octo in event of an OOA situation. However, if someone, buddy or other diver, grabs my primary, I obviously will revert to my octo, but this does not seem ideal for getting sorted out and then heading to the surface. In that situation, I do not want to have to swap regulators a second time, so I am considering changing my S555 to a black 40" hose. I know a lot of divers on SB like, and use, a much longer primary hose, but I do not want to have to deal with a 5-7' hose, a primary reason being I do not want a panic stricken OOA diver to be able to get that far away from me, especially if the diver would try to bolt to the surface. Any downside to this 40/40 configuration, or other comments and considerations? Thank you.

you run the risk of the two hoses twisting and there is no way around that if you are planning on donating one *have that on the outside*, but then have a primary taken and then having to go to your own octo which will be more difficult to deploy than it already is.
Have you considered just swapping your primary and secondary hose and using a 40" primary and moving to a primary donate paradigm? Leave the octo on a necklace and only plan to primary donate?

I have no problem with the "primary donate" but I am trying to avoid buying more hoses than necessary for my two identical reg sets or setting up a confusing situation for an OOA diver because the yellow faceplates on my R395 octos are not interchangeable with the S555 faceplates. I like the backup reg with 40" hose stowed under my arm, but am concerned about any issues of putting a 40" hose on my primary which I would prefer to donate. Some websites indicate a longer hose for primary tends to bow out too much, causing additional drag and strain on the mouth. I use my R395 octo on the 40" hose for at least 5 minutes on every dive, but keep the hose stowed under my arm, so I don't know how that would feel above the shoulder. I guess I should have tried that first before asking for comments, but too late for that.

I suppose you could tuck a 40" primary under your arm, but there is no way I would want a 40" over my shoulder. It would just "flap in the breeze" too much and generate additional drag and increase opportunities for snagging/entangling. Personally I find a 7' easier to manage than something shorter. Sure, it can be kind of a pain on the boat, but in the water, it tucks nice and flat against me. If you have to donate a long hose to a panicked OOG diver, then give em the reg, and then turn them around and grab their tank valve. Now you've got control of them and you can help them calm down while you start looking for the exit. Having done two real sharing gas events on a long hose, I can tell you it's a dream. Even a 40" hose is still going to keep the donee stuck in your grill for the ascent.

I have no problem with the "primary donate" but I am trying to avoid buying more hoses than necessary for my two identical reg sets or setting up a confusing situation for an OOA diver because the yellow faceplates on my R395 octos are not interchangeable with the S555 faceplates. I like the backup reg with 40" hose stowed under my arm, but am concerned about any issues of putting a 40" hose on my primary which I would prefer to donate. Some websites indicate a longer hose for primary tends to bow out too much, causing additional drag and strain on the mouth. I use my R395 octo on the 40" hose for at least 5 minutes on every dive, but keep the hose stowed under my arm, so I don't know how that would feel above the shoulder. I guess I should have tried that first before asking for comments, but too late for that.
Try the long hose on your primary, but route it under your arm instead of out and around. I found that I quite enjoyed not having hoses feel like they were sticking out everywhere when I dove. I think I did end up with a swivel on one of my reg sets and a 45 degree elbow on the other. Either one made the underarm routing even more pleasant.

just swap the hoses, buy a $25 ball swivel from Cave Adventurers, and ask them for about 3' of bungee to make a necklace when they ship it. No need to buy any new hoses, and the "confusion" isn't really a thing, so don't worry about it.

looks like this

Just highlighting an observation regarding confusing the out of air person you may assist if the colors aren't "right".

I've only met two kinds:

1. Calm and request air, waiting to see which I'll donate.
2. Panicked and grabbing for anything they see.

Neither care which color the reg is.

A little off topic but perhaps helpful in your decision making as well?

A 40" primary over the shoulder with no swivel flaps in the wind, pulls my teeth, cuts my lips and snags on anything I get close to. Not my favorite hose configuration. A swivel under the arm, quite nice.

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. Can someone explain how I keep attracting OOA divers??? It's never even been a buddy.

Thank you all for your responses. Per your recommendations, I am going to swap the hoses, and put my primary S555 on the 40" yellow hose with a swivel routed under my arm, and the octo on the short black hose, over my shoulder connected to a necklace. Never having had to deal with an actual OOA diver, your inputs make perfect sense in that a panic stricken diver is most likely going to grab the first reg seen regardless of color of the faceplate or hose. Problem solved, without having to spend more money. It does not get any better than that, and I appreciate the advice. Thanks again.

P.s. Can someone explain how I keep attracting OOA divers??? It's never even been a buddy.
Your kind and giving personality?

Or, you have a "Take my gas" paper stuck on your back?

Thank you all for your responses. Per your recommendations, I am going to swap the hoses, and put my primary S555 on the 40" yellow hose with a swivel routed under my arm, and the octo on the short black hose, over my shoulder connected to a necklace. Never having had to deal with an actual OOA diver, your inputs make perfect sense in that a panic stricken diver is most likely going to grab the first reg seen regardless of color of the faceplate or hose. Problem solved, without having to spend more money. It does not get any better than that, and I appreciate the advice. Thanks again.

make sure to have a swivel/elbow etc. on the 40" or it's going to be really uncomfortable as it pulls down against your jaw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom