When is medical clearance required for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently suffered a fractured hip and am in the latter stages of recovery, expecting to walk without crutches in a matter of days as I can already limp short distances. Furthermore, my physician also thought that I should be walking soon when I last consulted him 5 days ago.

I asked a dive shop yesterday whether I could dive and they demanded medical clearance before they would let me dive because they felt that I had an elevated risk of DCS. Suffice to say that I did not feel that bone fractures would require medical clearance before resumption of diving. I can certainly understand medical clearance being required for medical conditions such as heart surgery or stroke, but not for a bone fracture.

Is there a generally accepted list of medical conditions which require medical clearance before diving can resume?

Well, you're keen!

Had a similar problem after surgery. I was ready to splash after six weeks. My GP (who happens to be a diver) said NO. Made me wait another two excruciating weeks.

I don't know if there is a "list". I doubt it because everyone is different. My suggestion is to get a letter from your doctor.

Regards,

Bert

Have you finished physical therapy? I did ten weeks of that after a foot surgery, and since any leg related weakness can endanger finning, and thus your safety, your physical therapist might Help you test your strength in a pool with fins on. Hope you have a full recovery.

I think that I have found the answer to my question in the Padi Medical Statement. The two sections that are relavant are:
A) Inability to perform moderate exercise (eg walk 1 mile within 12 minutes)
B) Back, arm or leg problem following surgery, injury or fracture.

It therefore appears to me that I will not need medical clearance when I am able to walk 1 mile within 12 minutes.

If the LDS had told me this, I would not have queried their wisdom. I was gobsmacked by the LDS's rationale that I was at a higher risk of DCS because I had suffered a fracture, therefore I needed medical clearance before I could dive again.

As to whether I have completed physical therapy, no physical therapy was prescribed. It was a fracture that did not require surgical intervention or medication other than a course of painkillers that has been completed. In addition to painkillers, Phisiotherapy was prescribed and completed.

I'm guessing there are a fair number of divers who can't walk a mile in twelve minutes.

A 12 minute mile is 5mph, that is a brisk walk.

It is generally accepted that bubble formation (the cause of DCS) is more prevalent around areas where bones have broken. The LDS can require you to have a medical clearance if they want - you can go elsewhere if you want.

You will find references that suggest increased risk of the smallest bubbles forming an embolus where there has been an injury or repair to bones. The only regular advice long term is to "dive more conservative profiles" as you accumulate these various conditions that may or may not increase your personal risk but at least in theory could. I broke my hip mountain biking in 2005; had it repaired; was diving again in about 2 months; had the same hip completely replaced in 2015; was diving again in about 3 months. Dive shops and dive operators will have various policies about medical conditions and medical clearances, some will be well informed and some less well informed.

My guess is the requirement varies from shop to shop.

Why tell 'em? Research it on your own and make an INFORMED decision on what you should do. I shattered my femur in '95, threw bilateral pulmonary emboli. I was on coumadin for 6 months after. Had a trip scheduled in about 4 months, called DAN they said to not dive until after coumadin completed. Cancelled the trip, never said anything to any other dive op after the 6 months.
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom